free website stats program What tuner for an 04 bike | Harley Davidson Forums

What tuner for an 04 bike

zap427

Hi Guys,

I have been reading posts on tuners for a few years now. My 04 king has a Stage one and seems to run OK, but I dont have a lot of data points to compare it to.

Also, reading about all the "new" stuff has given me "no o2 bung" anxiety! What is a good approach on deciding which tuner and are the o2 bungs a necessity or is there life for pre-closed loop bikes?

Thanks
Jeff

I had a 98 RK and used the dobeck TFI on that bike and it works great, I also got the TFI for my 09 bike too. with the stage I and pipes, it's the best tuner to use. If you're going to change cam's then I would go with the PC III and you can advance timing also. Best T

Hey T,

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading the TFI info on the site and it seems like it is used by many. Plans for the King; well i have not done anything since I bought it but have always thought about jazzing it up with head work and cams.

I have always thought about sticking with the 88 just to be different. As near as I can tell the 04's biggest problem were the heads. I dont have many miles on the King as I travel for a living and ride when I can.

You can tune the TFI without a dyno run correct?

Thanks

yup you can tune the TFI without a dyno run, or laptop or any download or upload. basically it's like jet's on a carb bike, it allows you to rich'n up the mixture of fuel, your bike will run cooler also. I didn't have any O2 sensors on my 98 and I had to tap into the wire connection to the injectors, the newer system is plug and play and you can disconnect it anytime. T

How would you guys describe the differences between the TFI and PC? From what I can tell the PC gives you more potential options concerning modifications.

The difference is price between the two does not seem to be much. Perhaps you already answered that in your first reply, I just want to make sure I understand.

Jeff

How would you guys describe the differences between the TFI and PC? From what I can tell the PC gives you more potential options concerning modifications.

Jeff,

Here is some info on some of the different tuners and fuelers:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

The difference between a fueler and a tuner is the complexity of the instrument. Tuners need to be set with a computer and usually need dyno time to optimize the performance. A fueler is a more simple device that allows the rider to adjust the fuel the cylinders are getting under certain conditions. For probably greater than 80% of riders that just run around town, not running the strip, a fueler will be sufficient and will improve the performance of their bike enough for street riding.

But some folks like the ability to tweak things more precisely. For them a tuner may be more appropriate. And certainly anyone going to high performance mods will probably want to go to more of a race tuner and dyno work.

I have a TFI on my '03 UC.

TQ

Sorry I did not do a closer check of the info on this site before asking the questions. That is a great article, hats off to the author. Still sort of blown away by the info and how well it is organized on this site.

I also viewed your pictorial TQ on the cam change. Very well done.

Sorry I did not do a closer check of the info on this site before asking the questions. That is a great article, hats off to the author. Still sort of blown away by the info and how well it is organized on this site.

I also viewed your pictorial TQ on the cam change. Very well done.

That's why we try to get the members to view the self help forum. Lots of good info in there for the reading that will answer many of the questions asked on the forum.

Yes, there is ton's on info on this site, search and you will probably find the answers you seek, if not, always ask, we're all here to share and learn. The nice thing about here, is you get real world answers from daily users, not just a salesperson or a brochure. If you do headwork and cams, then the PC III will be a better fit, but like TQ said, most of us, the TFI is a great choice. Best T

Back