free website stats program What to wear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What to wear

First time I rode a Harley, rented in Maui rode in shorts no helmet and loved it although I did get a nasty burn on my leg from the pipe. I ride for comfort depending on outside temp. all the gear in the world might not help in certain crashes. Ride safe be aware of others and never ride impared.

I, personally, would rather have the equipment and not need it, than need it and not have it. Especially at 80 MPH.

My wife and I always wear helmets, boots, jeans, gloves, and a jacket. Weather dictates mesh jacket or leather and chapps. I just wish they had mesh jackets long ago.

Me too, to each their own. I used to wear boots, t-shirt, jeans, gloves and helmet. I have since found out that the mesh is actually cooler and prevents nasty sunburns while riding in warmer weather along with the protection that I hope I never need. I had a hard time convincing the Mrs., but, I finally got it done. Now that she has her own ride, she always has her gear. I can't imagine what road rash would feel like and hope no one else has to.

To each his own... But stupid should hurt!

'Proper' riding gear is not a magical force field that prevents all injuries, but it can and does help! Friend hit the back of a Mercedes (cut him off then locked the brakes for a traffic light that was still green). He bounced off the rear glass, went airborne over the car, and ended up on the asphalt 20 feet in front of the car. Full face helmet, 'knuckle' gloves, and full up crash jacket with pads. He ended up with an open book fracture of his pelvis, but no other injuries. The doc's were amazed - said he should have had masssive internal injuries and other upper body broken bones. They credited his gear with saving his life.

I've still got the burn scar from 40 years ago when I dumped my dirt bike and had it land on top of me. Due to the way I was wrapped around the bike (with my leg across the pipe), I was pinned underneath it for several minutes - jeans and boots on but still a third degree burn on the calf of my leg. Can only imagine if I had been wearing shorts and flip-flops...

Yes,

I always ride will full face helmet, Mesh Jacket, Over Pants, Boots and Gloves.
I do switch to fingerless glove for summer mostly. - Have a high vis vest on too.

So I may not look like a cool Harley guy but the ride is still just as fun.
And I kinda like the routine of putting on an outfit to saddle up :D

Even with the over pants and jeans or other long pants (ride to work) I still get the thigh roast if the light is long enough.

Just for for over-all ride comfort as well as mental and physical safety I need my equipment to help me ride better.

While I do get hot in summer once moving I cool off quickly. And my pants have zippers up the leg so if Im walking around town I can get some air in.

I am going to be buying a motor cycle in the next month or so. What should I be wearing? Are tennis shoes okay? I want to get some kind of jacket. What kind is good enough? I have been looking at some youtube videos of jackets. They are not leather, but some kind of textile ???. Are blue jeans okay for pants?

How much do I need to spend to dress right?

Thanks

I can, and only want to make choices for myself and passenger on my bike. Other than that, to each his/her own. For me, Full Face Modular helmet , Tourmaster mesh jacket, jeans, riding boots and, most of the time, gloves.
Just rode back from Americade /Lake George with all of the above plus my Hi Viz /Harley brand, rain jacket. Very comfortable.
Wife also has all of the above and always wears ATGATT.
I wouldn't take a passenger without it. My bike, my responsibility.

I usually wear a full face helmet, a leather or cordura jacket, gloves, boots and cordura trousers on longer journeys
cordura is a waterproof abrasive resistant textile, gear made of it has built in armour in the relevant places
Boots are waterproof and are of a military style with laces

Brian

Back