free website stats program what to expect on a new spill proof battery from dealership? | Harley Davidson Forums

what to expect on a new spill proof battery from dealership?

ron1978

i think its time for new battery, i don't have a loadtester but i have a voltmeter, before i crank it, the batery is reading 12.23 volts, when i hit starter it drops down to 4.5 -6.3 while its trying to crank, sounds like the starter sorta stall for split second then turns motor on over, once it cranks battery is back up to little over 12.3 charging.
does it sound like battery??

what does the harley gel filled battery cost???
ROAD KING 2005 MODEL

i bought the bike used at the 1st of this year, the battery still has all the dates on it intact, so i cant tell its age there, but it looks like it could be the stocker from 2005

but i have no clue

it didn't have starter lag when i got it, but its starting to sound like its struggling alittle, and its not even cold here yet, thats what i'm worried about

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing is how well the battery was treated over the years prior and while you had it. If you used a Battery Tender once a month or so and over winter storage, the battery should last 8-10 years...BUT if the battery was subjected to deep discharges or never so trickle charger use, 5 years could be all that there is and as Hoop says...best change it out rather than risk regulator and eventual stator damage if you abuse the charging system with a weak or internally shorted battery. :s

In your original post you say after crnking the voltage reads 12.3 charging
Does this mean you are only getting 12.3 volts when the bike is running?
If so I would be testing the charging system as well because that is way too low.

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

If you've put a charger on the battery and it returns to 12.3V after sitting, it's toast. Buy a new battery and check the charging system as Steve07 recommends.
Sorry can't help you with what the price of a new battery is. Check H-D's website, they may have prices.

Mine died a couple days ago at a little over 4 years old. Used a battery tender religously and rarely was taken on short rides where it didn't get fully charged.
If you have a Batteries Plus store near you they have the same HD battery made by Deka. 2 year warranty. The store will honor the internet price of
$120.

I've had no problem with 'Interstate' batteries and it was an AGM, I think when I bought it two years ago I paid $90.00.

well i sent wife to dealership cause i had to work today, they load tested and said it looked to be just need of a good charge, after they called me i toldthem i have charged it and thats was as good as it gets, then the told me te battery was 6 years old, then they decided i needed a new one, the new hd brand battery was 149.99+ tax and no core , total $160 and change. so i got in this afternoon installed and it was the old battery for sure, starts right up in a hurry!, the old battery i think has a dead cell in it, and i'm going monday to dealership and get my other battery back to put in lawn mower,
that explains why it would't charge in the bike at idle speeds and on battery charger, dead cell.
ps -the hd batterys are crazy over priced!!!!!
i was thinking around $100.00 or so

Back