free website stats program What to do before first starting engine? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What to do before first starting engine?

Like Breeze said, you can just remove one plug per cylinder, cause all you are trying to do is reduce the pressure build up in the cylinder while you turn the engine over with the starter. The Ultima manual procedure for priming the oil system is essentially what was suggested above. Disconnecting at least the hot lead(s) from the coil means that you have no spark being generated. It is a good step if you can get to it easily. If not, just ground the plug wires (I just stuff them in the fins).

TQ

As TQ says, get a small bolt, poke it into each sparkplug boot and ground with alligator clip leads (being in electronics, always have some of those puppies areound). This prevents ignition coil damage due to arcing internally breaking down the insulating varnish...15,000-20,000 Volts can arc or carbon track insulation.

I started bike first time!! All procedures was easy and without any problems, and it works great so far. Thanks !!!

I started bike first time!! All procedures was easy and without any problems, and it works great so far. Thanks !!!

Fabulous, and great job. Post some pix when you have a chance.

Congrats again. Now go have some fun riding.

TQ

Back