free website stats program What to do before first starting engine? | Harley Davidson Forums

What to do before first starting engine?

Piotra

Hello,
I'm finishing my bike project and next week I would like to start and run bike first time. My question is what to do before first starting engine and running a bike. Of course I added oil to transsmision and to oil tank.
But should I add oil to any other places. Engine is new. So should I add some oil to any other places to be sure that during first start all will be oiled good. Before pump put oil in all oil lines. Should I add some oil to gas? If yes, how much.
And what oil pressure should I obtain on oil gauge, to be sure that all is correct. I have oil gauge in LBS.

"Bike Project" as in a ground up engine build? New Cams, lifters, cylinders, pistons, valve train parts. If so did you use assembly oil & fluids on vital parts? This is the first time this engine has ever been started?

I think engine was started after assembly because I saw some black deposit in place where you connect exhaust. But engine was never runned in bike and I'm sure that if it was started it was few years ago. J have this engine few years and I'm just finished my bike.

Twin cam or Evolution engine (I'm guessing Evo)? I would pour oil into the oil filter (let it sit a bit to absorb into the paper) and reinstall. You could pull the spark plugs (connect them to the wires and ground them to engine), and spin the engine to get some oil primed in the system. Other than that, just keep the rpm's low until you build pressure and warm up.

me i crank engine over plugs out. i manually push in solenoid

I agree with turning the engine over with the starter to get the oil pumped around some. Pull the sparkplugs out, ground the wires on the block. Keep the gas turned off at the tank if a carbed engine. If EFI, don't worry about it.

Just crank the engine for about 30 seconds listening for any unusual noises. Give it a rest for a couple of minutes and then do it again. Put a charger on the battery until the voltage across the terminals come up to around 13 Vdc. Give the pistons/cylinders a little squirt of oil (about 1/2 an oz.), open the gas to the carb, and then fire it up. Good to go.

After running up to operating temp., check the oil level in the engine (HOT) and the tranny. Look around the bike carefully making sure nothing seems loose or off! After parking for a while, go back out to the bike and grab stuff and shake hard to make sure nothing is loose.

Do the new engine break in below:

Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

With the rings seated, you should be on your way!!

TQ

I just rebuilt the top end of my EVO. I turned it over without fuel and the plug wires off until the oil light went off. The first run I just let to run in Neutral until it was hot and shut it off. When it was cool I wiped the engine down with a paper towel to check for leaks - Bob

I used to pack the oil pumps with vaseline so I would not have a dry start works pretty good:s

Can I disconet wires that comes to coil (I have here plug because I have twin tower coil with four outputs for four spark plugs) or have I remove all spark plugs?

I found something on Ultima page, It's for Ultima engine but I think I can also apply this procedure for my RevTech, look at page 22:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/CSEngineManual.pdf

What do you think??

Can I disconet wires that comes to coil (I have here plug because I have twin tower coil with four outputs for four spark plugs) or have I remove all spark plugs?

I found something on Ultima page, It's for Ultima engine but I think I can also apply this procedure for my RevTech, look at page 22:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/CSEngineManual.pdf

What do you think??

Just disconnecting and grounding one plug per cylinder should be ok. I don't know about disconnecting the hot lead that goes TO the coil from the ign. module. But you do need to remove sparkplugs so the engine will spin over freely to build oil pressure, so just grounding them would be easy.

Back