free website stats program What tires do you suggest ? | Harley Davidson Forums

What tires do you suggest ?

Redman

Hey all...I have an 09 FLHX and was curious as to what tire do you folks have good luck with. Currently have the stock setup with the swap out for the D407f on the front. Rear is starting to look like its time to swap out but curious to see if any other recommendations for a replacement for the rear and also if I were to change rear to a different manufacturer must I change front at same time or can I use this brand new Dunlop front till it goes.:s

On motorcycles I've always felt the stock tires are best for every day riding, the tires are tested by the manufacture for safty & handling on that bike. If the tire is not aproved by the manufacture I pass on it. Do not install tires that are of different brands or tread pattern, it can affect handling.

I have a friend that asked a similar question....

I would go with the IDEA that you change one front to two rears..

If your front tire is good I would replace the rear with the stock matching tire...

WHEN BOTH are need to be replaced i would do BOTH and KEEP THEM THE SAME matched of whatever brand YOU like...

HEY RichardS ,,, why did you not go with the VENOM X's on the heavy bike??

I had a MATCHED set on my dyna and they were okay.

signed....BUBBIE

I currently have Dunlops on the Heritage that came on it, but will replace w/Michelin Commanders when these wear out, as I have run them on a previous bike and liked them much better. They seemed to hold well, and gave (IMO) a more comfortable ride. You will find people tend to support their favorite tires like their brand of cages, Oils, Spark Plugs, ect... But I would stay with, as was mentioned a tire that has been throughly tested for your size & weight of bike. :D

Thanks a load..that was exactly what I was looking for. I will stick with the Dunlops...just had to ask...appreciate the help all :s

The next question is who do you buy your Dunlops from and at what cost for the rear stock which I believe is the 407 180/55b18 18" blackwall.

my bad...D407 180/65B16 is what I meant:D

Thanks for the heads up..just didnt want to just toss money at the Dealer if I could save some money but you have an excellent point gents. Thanks again.:s

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have stated the stock tires from the HD Dealer or Indy IS the best option. The differences in mileage and performance verses cost & cost savings are similar, the difference only being perceived personal preference, whether you want to take the time to do the takeoff of the old wheel/tire and install the new wheel/tire yourself, which amounts to inside of $100 savings. Your ride, your time and money as you decide.

Back