free website stats program What tips for complex trips? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What tips for complex trips?

As I'm fairly well travelled i can find my way round most of the UK without maps or guidance
on longer trips usually with wife she always is the lead bike and she has a developed a good knowledge of half Europe as she is a touring coach driver
i dont see much of her from march to November as she is on tour somewhere
if going on roads I'm a bit unsure of i write the road numbers down on the speedo glass using a wax pencil and at every stop check map and adjust route card as necessary

Brian

I used a road book for many years. You could write on a paper what ever route you want to drive and the road book was there to give you directions, for example Welkom bij

But I am also spoiled with navigation systems. The best part is the tracking possibilities from some vendors. This makes it possible to look back where you have been. An example you can find:
Untitled Document
There ae many routes you can visualize on Google Earth. Another interestin option is f.e.
Federal Road from Mongolia border to Vladivostok - Offroading - Everytrail
or
H-D Toerweekend 2009 groep2 - Motorcycling - Everytrail

I normaly plan my main route on Google Maps to get the mileage, points of interest and route planned out. Then I view it in Google Earth and 'Fly' the route several times so I learn it and alternates. If its a real complicate route I print out the genreal directions - routes, turns and landmarks and then laminate it so it survives living in my pocket. Isn't necessary most of the time.

Sounds complicated but learning the like this has paid off several times when an accident has blocked the road and I've had to make a quick decision on which way to turn.

Gary

Folks - curious to hear what your tips are for navigating trips which contain lots of directions - if you want to avoid highways, often there are a ton of turns.

GPS is one idea, but its expensive, and honestly I prefer not to be distracted by it. It seems like it would be a hassle to stop and look at a piece of paper that often.

I'm curious to learn from the more experienced among us as to how they manage this. Thanks!

Keithhu, I do two things, I do my homework if doing a complex trip...

#1 Using a Thomas Guide (it is issued annually) commonly used by the trucking industry...cost of a book is about $18. If you want cheaper and are a member of AAA they offer their "free" Travel Tix service...if you have decent lead time they can "plan your trip" with flip map precision, your complex trip from start to finish. It has everything, highlighted rec areas, hotels, mileage analysis the works. You can attach it to your tank in a clear pouch as RetiredJake pointed out, and his method has plenty of road tested miles there :s

#2 On the road, do not discount a portable GPS because of cost. Pricing has dropped down to around $130 for Tom-Tom that is portable and easily transfered from vehicle to vehicle, and easily programmed. It is self powered and holds a charge for couple hours of travel, and if you go on unplanned sorties, can plot out a map on the fly and do turn by turn by voice directions (or text if you are using the window method) :33:

Either way, go out an enjoy the ride, the more planning you put it, the better your journey! :small3d018:

Oh man! trust me its more of a distraction to try and look at a map while moving..Than a ear piece with turn by turn direction is by far the easiest...I've gotten through Toronto Canada where every conceivable road was under construction ( I thought we had lots of orange barrels in our country). Gotten around L.A. and San Diego as well a Washington D.C. its the least stress method possible ..once you program in your way points(which you can do in the comfort of your living room) not only can you see where ya are ...where ya been, and how long it will take you to get to your next way point ..you will be amazed(I am from a very small town so was not used to big cities)...I know ya have someone that has one ..borrow it..will save you so many head aches. Even if ya don't have a mount for one you can put it in your wind shield bag and it will likely tract....ya can even get small aux antennas for them if ya wanna put somewhere in a saddle bag. But just try one..trust me... your be at ease and as ya know ride a Motorcycle the less stress the better your trip is gonna be!

jpg.gif Gps for Motorcycles.jpg (67.1 KB)

Attachments

• Gps for Motorcycles.jpg
    Gps for Motorcycles.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. So here's the next question - whats the best GPS - Zumo 550?

Equally important, whats the best mount? I'd prefer something that can be easily removed, most of the time I wont be using a GPS. I'd want it wired into the electrical system, but the challenge, I guess would be removing the mount but still having the wires hanging around.

What mounts are yall using?

Equally important, whats the best mount? I'd prefer something that can be easily removed, most of the time I wont be using a GPS. I'd want it wired into the electrical system, but the challenge, I guess would be removing the mount but still having the wires hanging around.

I hear that a good unit. I use a old and am sure a out dated unit now. OI have the Quest2 by garmin. Was a recondition unit off ebay and the bracket was as well if i remember we paid 30 bucks for the bracket and 179 for the Quest 2. Very easy to install. Never gets in the way. But Ram make lots of different mounts as does Garmin.. here a look at how easy mine is to put on the mount. Good luck and have a safe trip.

YouTube - Gps and Bracket

Keithhu
GPS's are not that expensive anymore. You can get a descent one for under $200. They are a lot safer than looking down to see where you are on a map. If you want cheap just go to Office Depot & get a sleeve cover & a couple of magnets & attach it to your tank. Make a list big enough to read with a glance. My GPS changes color when it is close to your turn. I have mine on the handlebar & can see it better than the speedo or tack. JMO
You might want to check out the Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550. Waterproof & works good.

I paid $89 for a Tom-tom at Walmart on sale. Granted, it's not water proof, but I cover it or take it off when it rains. I also use a Ram mount (Rammount.com). It's easy to take the GPS off and on. I think I had less than $140 in the whole thing. I know there are lots better and more exspensive units out there, but all I wanted was a basic GPS. There is one thing that I've noticed on all the bike mounted GPS's in they need a hood over them to be able to see the display in bright sunlight.DSCF0003.jpg

Back