free website stats program What should you pay for a bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What should you pay for a bike?

A test ride and top to bottom check out would be my advice on a used bike Plus all repair invoices

jd...sounds like you are hooked, the Fatboy was a bike (and still is that i want) i wish you the best of luck in your search. while you are doing your search and since you have a price in your head...don't just look around where you live, remember the are many people who live where winter is setting in and they have no place to store their bike. so they need to get rid of it, dont know how it is now but believe it or not Hawaii use to be the best place to buy a sail boat as people would sail there and not want to sail home. so the boats were for sale cheap... have a look at Dallas and farther north, Dallas always seems to have some decent prices on Craigs list.

best of luck in your search!!

I've bought all of my bike from dealers, including my '77. I have a policy of walking away if the price is not to my liking. And I have done just that many, many times. Everyone needs to makes/save money. I have learned over the years to not let my "want" for model override my sensiblity.

Look around and wait until you find the right deal. It can be tuff, the waiting part, but it will be worth it.

Last edited:
JDL; It sounds like you know what you want, and are going about finding one the right way. One thing to remember, due to the shotgun exhaust on the Fatboys, smaller saddlebags need to be used.

Do what I did I went to all the dealers near me with the exact make and model and with all options I wanted and the price I was willing to pay. I left three dealers before I got the price I was willing to pay. And even then I said thanks by no thanks to their deal. The sales manager ended up chasing to my car. Not only did I pay the price I wanted I also got a helment, jacket, gloves and glasses thrown into the deal. So do your research and be willing to shop around.

Do what I did I went to all the dealers near me with the exact make and model and with all options I wanted and the price I was willing to pay. I left three dealers before I got the price I was willing to pay. And even then I said thanks by no thanks to their deal. The sales manager ended up chasing to my car. Not only did I pay the price I wanted I also got a helment, jacket, gloves and glasses thrown into the deal. So do your research and be willing to shop around.

Yay!!! Good job! You are listening to great guys in here! :bigsmiley12:

The only thing I could add to these posts not mentioned. If you are intent on buying a new bike don't fall for the setup, freight, and document charges dealers add onto the price of a bike. Strip those off and find an amount you will pay for the bike. Also dealers still have 2012 models on the floor they would like to get rid of quick. That can be in your favor in making a deal. Just don't let them hustle you around. It is your money, take your time spending it.
I think you would be better off buying used and not at the dealers. But this is your decision. Good Luck in your search.

Read last line of post #1. He wants "removable" bags & windscreen.

Like I originally thought, but once on, mine never came back off. :D

Lots of good advice here as usual. Do your research on prices and remember the best incentive for a salesman to deal is watching the back of your head as you walk to the door. You'd be surprised how many times that will have them chasing after you with "what can I do to sell you a bike today".

Fact is you are going to buy from somebody (not necessarily them) and they have to sell bikes to eat. That gives you the upper hand.:s

Back