free website stats program What say you?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What say you??

I had a '99 RG with a 95 c.i. conversion. It had SE203's in it. It ran good here at sea level and no problems and when in Sturgis.
For a mild cam with no head work it worked pretty good. Don't know the difference in specks for the 203 versus 211, Dolt probably knows.
As far as gear drive change goes it is very good change but you can not have any more than 0.003" run out on the pinion shaft. That is per S&S Cycles instructions.
I also notice you have Fuel Inj. per your post(FLHTCI). It will have to have another download for the cams.
tourbox

I installed new hydraulic cam tensioners, guides etc in my 2005 FLHTCI this past April. Now I am seriously thinking about putting a set of cams in to pep the motor up a little as a project this winter. This is my first Twin Cam, I have owned and rode Shovels and Evo’s since 1976. Like I said, I want to pepper it up a little but I don’t want to have to do a bunch of work on the heads etc if there is a set of cams available with enough lift and duration without including extra head work. I know I will get the best advice here so,,,,, What say you. Also what all is involved in converting to gear drive to elinate the chains, tensioners, guides etc? Thanks in advance for all suggestions, advice and thoughts.

Sadly, the small 3.750" bore makes it near impossible to boost CCP up in the 185-190psi range which is a good target for a mild street motor. Since you don't want to pull the heads, you will need a cam with an early intake close; JMHO but the best choice for a cam only upgrade to a Stage I TC88 would be the S&S 509. I would also suggest that you consider installing a set of 1.7 ratio rocker arms to take advantage of the higher lift allowed by the '05 beehive springs.

I am a big proponent of gear driven cams; however, I have to say that with the new hydraulic setup which you have already installed; the cost benefit of gears over the hydraulic setup just isn't there and the chain set up will tolerate crank run out > .003". Conversion to gear driven cams is a $500 conversion. The money would be better spent on boring your cylinders to 95"/98", fitted to a set of CP or Wiseco pistons with 6cc dome; this will eat up that $500. Go on the hunt for a set of '06 or later heads; I have seen them go for $150-$200; much improved over the '05 heads which were the worst.:eek: Have you had any oil consumption issues? Many '05 owners have had the guide seals replaced under warranty for excessive oil consumption. Have the '06 heads cleaned up, new guide seals and a multi angle (SERDI) valve job done and put the top end together with a .030" MLS head gasket. At this point, you have your choice of several cam sets; Andrews 48, Cylerama 575, TMan 555 Torkster, Woods 222, SE204 to mention a few. (The SE211 has an intake close @ 45*, way too late for strong low/midrange performance) I would go for the Cycle Rama 575 or the Andrews 48, in that order, but any of the aforementioned cams will do the job and deliver strong low and midrange performance up to 4500-5000rpms, peaking between 3000-3500 rpms. 100/110 numbers easily achieved with more displacement.

Of course, fuel management and a proper dyno tune are necessary to optimize the performance in either case; cam only or bigge bore and cams; I know, mo money.

Anyway, probably more information than you wanted/needed but you have some options.;)

Last edited:
Sadly, the small 3.750" bore makes it near impossible to boost CCP up in the 185-190psi range which is a good target for a mild street motor. Since you don't want to pull the heads, you will need a cam with an early intake close; JMHO but the best choice for a cam only upgrade to a Stage I TC88 would be the S&S 509. I would also suggest that you consider installing a set of 1.7 ratio rocker arms to take advantage of the higher lift allowed by the '05 beehive springs.

I am a big proponent of gear driven cams; however, I have to say that with the new hydraulic setup which you have already installed; the cost benefit of gears over the hydraulic setup just isn't there and the chain set up will tolerate crank run out > .003". Conversion to gear driven cams is a $500 conversion. The money would be better spent on boring your cylinders to 95"/98", fitted to a set of CP or Wiseco pistons with 6cc dome; this will eat up that $500. Go on the hunt for a set of '06 or later heads; I have seen them go for $150-$200; much improved over the '05 heads which were the worst.:eek: Have you had any oil consumption issues? Many '05 owners have had the guide seals replaced under warranty for excessive oil consumption. Have the '06 heads cleaned up, new guide seals and a multi angle (SERDI) valve job done and put the top end together with a .030" MLS head gasket. At this point, you have your choice of several cam sets; Andrews 48, Cylerama 575, TMan 555 Torkster, Woods 222, SE204 to mention a few. (The SE211 has an intake close @ 45*, way too late for strong low/midrange performance) I would go for the Cycle Rama 575 or the Andrews 48, in that order, but any of the aforementioned cams will do the job and deliver strong low and midrange performance up to 4500-5000rpms, peaking between 3000-3500 rpms. 100/110 numbers easily achieved with more displacement.

Of course, fuel management and a proper dyno tune are necessary to optimize the performance in either case; cam only or bigge bore and cams; I know, mo money.

Anyway, probably more information than you wanted/needed but you have some options.;)

Actually this is exactly the in depth information I was wanting / needing. The different options will greatly help me get my game plan in place. I always like to do a lot of research and get all my ducks in a row and find any and all options before beginning a project such as this. Especially in a situation like this one as like I mentioned, this is my first T C 88. Always been a shovel and Evo rider. ( still have my 1988 FLHS). I hate to run into those pesky little unknown UH~OHHS, when doing a first time project. I haven’t had any oil consumption issues,but I do have access to a set of 2006 new take off heads, IF my buddy still has them.
Thanks for all the very useful information @dolt and everybody else.

I had a '99 RG with a 95 c.i. conversion. It had SE203's in it. It ran good here at sea level and no problems and when in Sturgis.
For a mild cam with no head work it worked pretty good. Don't know the difference in specks for the 203 versus 211, Dolt probably knows.
As far as gear drive change goes it is very good change but you can not have any more than 0.003" run out on the pinion shaft. That is per S&S Cycles instructions.
I also notice you have Fuel Inj. per your post(FLHTCI). It will have to have another download for the cams.
tourbox

You’re correct on the fuel injection.

Andrews designed the 48H cams specifically as bolt in's for low end performance in the 96" motor. I have them in my '07 E.G. and the bottom end increase is noticeable. I found I can usually ride the mountain roads one gear higher than with the stock cams.

tourbox

And, tourbox is another Golden Nugget on this forum. :) Between you and dolt, there is nothing that can't be solved!

With your guys' knowledge, and the bits and pieces from all the other members that are kind enough to share their time, I really appreciate all the effort given. I have known what to check / suggest to guys at work just because of what I have read here. :) I think it is cool that I work with 98% male employees and 'they' will say, go ask Joy...she may have an idea. Not only for work issues, but cars, bikes, guns, pilot's license etc!!! :)

I agree 100% with your comment. Tour box and dolt both have an entire encyclopedia ( now there’s a word I haven’t used in forever) of knowledge and are always happy to share to help others. Several others in here too. That’s what makes HDT so great and well above other forums.

Well thank you guys for your compliments. They are appreciated. Dolt however is FAR ahead of me.
Again thank you.
tourbox

Been a member since 2009, thankful for all the advice of the other members.

X2. I joined just in April 2017 but I too am very thankful for all the advice from the members here. Very fortunate to have found this forum.

Back