free website stats program What RPM's do you run your bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

What RPM's do you run your bike?

One Way

When I bought my 07 superglide a HD dealer told me not to lug it, run it over 2400 rpm. I found that my dyna is the smoothest between 2800 and 3200 rpm and I get the best fuel economy there. I do run it around 2200 in first and second, but all other gears are above 2800. Just curious where everyone runs their bikes!

When I bought my 07 superglide a HD dealer told me not to lug it, run it over 2400 rpm. I found that my dyna is the smoothest between 2800 and 3200 rpm and I get the best fuel economy there. I do run it around 2200 in first and second, but all other gears are above 2800. Just curious where everyone runs their bikes!

I have no clue since I don't have a tach.:(

It all depends.

If you're just out for a leisurely ride then keep doing what you're doing.

If you want to get from A to B as quick as possible, then you're going to have to wind it up well over 3 or 4000 RPM.

for normal riding i try to keep it at aroung 3 grand, until 6th gear or passing, then its whatever I got the extended warrenty

Is there speed/gear table for the '09 and later 6 speed touring bikes as they made some changes in those?

Mine runs easy at 2800 and up in 6th gear. If the rpm's are much lower it sounds like it's laboring.

The engine needs to get up on the cam for best operation. Running at the listed RPM's 2800-3200 is the best range for you are always just a twist away from the real excitement riding a Harley. Most of the bikes red line at 5,000 rpm so you are not even half way at 2,400 RPM and could very well be lugging engine most of the time...

Based on the gear vs RPM chart I run between 2500 and 3500 pretty much all the time. Unless it was in the first 4800 miles that a previous owner put on her my baby has never seen 4000.

Back