free website stats program What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine.

I can already vision Bubbie sitting in his man-cave plastered with "Red Line" oil posters while wearing his "Red Line" hat & tee, sipping cold/frosty beverages from his "Red Line" drink holder while watching his "Red Line" oil stock prices rise...:D :p :D

I can already vision Bubbie sitting in his man-cave plastered with "Red Line" oil posters while wearing his "Red Line" hat & tee, sipping cold/frosty beverages from his "Red Line" drink holder while watching his "Red Line" oil stock prices rise...:D :p :D

MAN Ice,,,

You must be Psychic OR the one Peaking thru the Cracks of my Man Cave blinds...:devil

But that is Okay.. I've liked you on this forum for many years and you feel like one of the Family... (who's I don't know though:newsmile100:)

BUT I DID have an Early morning Problem while reading your post;
I grabbed the MTL Bottle of Redline INSTEAD of my Redline Coffee Cup.. :bigsmiley25:

I just found out MTL is Mighty Tasty Also...

Hmmm a new market....:s

Sure WOULD Like Redline to at LEAST give me a little OIL in return for the Millions $$$ they made off MY suggesting Redline to the Biker Crowd...:dknow

I've Only PUSHED Redline products for all these years to MY Biker Friends, CAUSE Redline are Great Products and WORK... Word of Mouth seems sells it best,,,, not the white papers...:newsmile099:

signed....REDLINE/BUBBIE

I've Only PUSHED Redline products for all these years to MY Biker Friends, CAUSE Redline are Great Products and WORK... Word of Mouth seems sells it best,,,, not the white papers...:newsmile099:

signed....REDLINE/BUBBIE

Amen to that Bubbie.

Similar suggested POSTED many times before...

but I'll POST these in this Thread:

1st and second will take care of them selves (you'll know):breakdance

3rd gear = 30 up

4th gear = 40 up

5th gear = 55 up

6th gear = 65 up

When using the MINIMUM miles per hour, your going easy, and are cruising Level road...

If you are using the suggested MINIMUM's above and want to increase speeds easily, twist the throttle Easily

If you are getting "On It" SHIFT a GEAR Lower and Twist that throttle:devil

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie; nice...you made it too easy w/the Red Line references...just don't confuse blue M&M's for the "other" blue pill because after 4-hours you'll be in (1) in the ER, or (2) running away from momma screaming "No More!" :D :D :p

rafaelw,

Since you are not new to bikes you will know, it will chug-chug if too low and whine if too high, other than that follow the suggestions from everybody and ride it!

I strongly suggest you get a new dealer! True, the "B" motor is internally counter balanced and runs smooth. True, there is nothing (in the HD line) like a King or an Electra Glide on the highway for smooth. FALSE - All Harleys vibrate like crazy! If your bike vibrates that much and doesn't shift smoothly through ALL gears, there is an issue! There has been an issue with the twin-cam motors (96" and 103") with crankshaft scissoring due to the press-fit of the connecting rod journal between the two counter balances which causes high vibration initially followed by destruction of the oil pump and subsequent engine failure. It's a LOT of work to disassemble the right side and do a run-out of the crankshaft and most dealers will do whatever they can to keep from doing it (time is money and if they can make you believe "they all do that" it might just last till the warranty expires. Then they'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to tear you down and check it...on your dime.) If that bike is vibrating that severely, INSIST that it be repaired. And if the Tranny isn't shifting smoothly, same thing. I agree that there are much better alternative choices than HD oil for the engine/primary/gearbox. I, personally, prefer AMSOIL products but Redline is excellent, too.

My point is, DO NOT settle for your bike running like you described based on the dealer's statement of "They all do it". The folks on this forum have more miles pushing their scoots in and out of their garages than most folks have riding them. Get that bike checked out properly and fixed before you wind up throwing a LOT of money at it.

Thanks for replies guys. Dealer said (Oh geeezzzz....here we go) up to 45-50mph heritage should ride quite smooth due to counterbalance, after 50mph road king with its rubber mounted engine is the way to go. I don't mind the vibration though, before buying this bike everyone always told me Harley's vibrate like crazy, (Apparently they haven't owned a newer Harley) so I was prepared for it and assumed it was normal. At least it's not high frequency buzzing like on Jap bikes which makes hands go numb.

At 80mph forget reading a license plate, (Houston...we have a problem) I can't even make out if its a car, a truck or whatever behind me! Btw, clutch was adjusted 3 weeks ago when bike was serviced. I don't have extended warranty or service plan, dealer didn't offer it.

I just love this bike though, why didn't I buy a Harley sooner! I shall adjust my technique and see what the difference is.

Back