free website stats program What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine. | Harley Davidson Forums

What RPM should i be riding at in each gear without lugging the engine.

Rafaelw

I have a new 2013 Heritage Softail Classic 103 cc, I am also a New Harley rider. This Bike is way different than the Honda shadow 1100 i drove for 6 years prior. So can you please tell me what i should keep the RPM's at for my new bike, without lugging the motor. Thanks for any info.

I find with mine that at 30mph I don't get higher than 3rd gear (about 2000 rpm), and at 40mph I just make 4th gear (about 2500 rpm). I have to be riding at 50mph and above to reach 5th gear.
This is for a 1200 cc roadster. Otherwise, any lower, and my engine starts lugging and I have to change down a gear.
hope this helps.

Try to stay above 2000 rpms. I shift at 3000-3200 and never use 5th below 55 mph. On your 6 speed i wouldnt use top gear till 70+. Just my opinion and others may have different riding styles/habits.
WAP.gif

Take A LOOK at a few places here.....

Search Result - Harley Davidson Community

Just doing a search using google on the page tops show MUCH..

IF you are new to HD.... Don't Lug the bike. IT should increase speed smooth and easily when twisting the throttle and IF it does not Shift Down a gear, That always helps.

You'll Learn.

signed....BUBBIE

You need to get them up on the cam and thats where they really run well..:s
Remember red line is at 6,000 rpm and above that, the rev limiter will shut motor down to prevent damage.. And as Bubbie has stated, a downshift, is good for about 10 HP...

Do you have an owners manual? If not get one, the shift points are in there up and down shifting given in MPH, un til then if your bike feels jerky you are lugging, down shift 1 gear and bring it back up to speed before shifting into higher gear

Posts 1,2,& 3 are what I practice, never less than 2,000 rpm in gears 3-4-5-6. My bike has a tach, and I have compared it with the speedo, and it very conveniently comes out to 3rd = 30mph, 4th =40, 5th = 50 and 6th = 60 (but I prefer 65 as minimum).

Good question. I too am like you and also have same bike - 2013 FLSTC. It's not like anything I've had before. I've not paid much attention to what speed I change gear at, I just listen to engine and feel the vibes. Sometimes I find I'm doing 45mph in 6th gear. This bike pulls in any gear but I try to change up quickly to keep below 2000-2500rpm so that the ride is nice and smooth.

When I go over 2500 the vibes start getting bad and I can't see anything in mirrors. At 70-80mph in 6th gear the vibes are so bad it will rattle bolts loose! Dealer said thats why they put thread-lock on the bolts! There's no rubber mounts, so I assume that's correct. One thing I have a problem with is downshifting, sometimes it just sticks in 3rd or 4th gear and refuses to shift down. I think it will all get better with age and with more miles on the clock.

I usually keep the RPM's around 2,500 or a little more when in 6th.

You should be able to tell from the engine noise and throttle response when you are lugging the engine.

Ride it and you'll get used to the engine sounds.

Good question. I too am like you and also have same bike - 2013 FLSTC. It's not like anything I've had before. I've not paid much attention to what speed I change gear at, I just listen to engine and feel the vibes. Sometimes I find I'm doing 45mph in 6th gear. This bike pulls in any gear but I try to change up quickly to keep below 2000-2500rpm so that the ride is nice and smooth.

When I go over 2500 the vibes start getting bad and I can't see anything in mirrors. At 70-80mph in 6th gear the vibes are so bad it will rattle bolts loose! Dealer said thats why they put thread-lock on the bolts! There's no rubber mounts, so I assume that's correct. One thing I have a problem with is downshifting, sometimes it just sticks in 3rd or 4th gear and refuses to shift down. I think it will all get better with age and with more miles on the clock.

Have you adjusted your clutch?

Back