free website stats program What part of lane do you ride? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What part of lane do you ride?

I always try to ride in the right lane nearest the grass (on a multi lane road). If the lane is not in good condition I ride in the middle to stay out of the ruts. I always watch what's behind me in the mirror.

I don't like riding in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. But I have to do it quite often on some PGR rides because the ride captain feels it leaves access for folks wanting to turn off (right) the highway (which is true). PGR is duty so I do it, but don't like being sandwiched between two lanes of traffic, especially when you have semi-trailer rigs moving past your right side a couple of feet away.

Anyhow that's how I ride.

I tend to use left of center of lane. I will adjust using all of the lane dependent on needing a escape...

It depends on the road, but normally I avoid being centered on any vehicle in front of me. I want them to see my headlight in the mirror and leave myselff an "out" incase they do something dumb...which they normally will. If it's curvy I'm out-in-out straightening the turns. But on a long empty straight road, I stay where it's the smooth:cheers

Left of center most of the time on any highway. I'll mix it up sometimes hoping to be seen or noticed better. On the city streets, for smoothnes and comfort, ya just can't beat the sidewalks!
WAP.gif

Left of center most of the time on any highway. I'll mix it up sometimes hoping to be seen or noticed better. On the city streets, for smoothnes and comfort, ya just can't beat the sidewalks!
WAP.gif

That has me laughing Good One:lolrolling

Left of center on a two lane road. Except when cresting a hill, then I make sure that I am on my side of the road. I don't want to meet anyone head on at the top. On multiple lane highway ( three lanes ) I found it best to be in the middle to fast lane. Middle when I am cruising along up until the point where I have to pass a slower driver, then I'll return to the middle lane. If the middle lane is stop and go erratic, then I prefer the fast lane where I feel I am in more control. The slow highway lane doesn't work for me at all. Too much chaos. People merging in front of you, and people cutting in front of you because they are at their exit. On country roads I do like others and use the whole road. You almost have to because some of those roads are in such bad shape. Lastly, I set myself up for the curves like others have said.

Last edited:
A mix, left of center on most roads, center or right of center on hills, and inside/outside in the curves. Always as far from cars/trucks as safely as I can make it. Almost weekly some idiot in a car trys to kill me...old people and drivers/teens on cell a phone add to the "thrill" of riding..

I like the left side on multi lane highways and pretty much use the whole lane on two lane blacktop. When you have a 3' wide motor using a 12' wide lane it gives you a lot of lateral movement to set up the apexs and still stay within your lane. As stated previously riding on the left portion of the lane can cause blind spot problems for idiots on cell phones. I used to ride an Aspencade pulling a trailer which pretty well dictates you ride in the center greasy part of the lane. This is not always a good thing.

I ride all over the lane left, right, middle. Not trying to be seen or anything, just dodging potholes. :bigsmiley30:

Back