free website stats program What Now????? | Harley Davidson Forums

What Now?????

W

wildspirit97

Ok. I have had my bike back for exactly one week after being in the shop for almost a month. been riding to work daily (40 miles a day) with no probs whatsoever. Yesterday I decided to work a Half day and go on a little ride with the wife. BTW I was an awesome ride. Toward the end of the ride...I'm just riding along glance down to check my speed and there it was. The speedometer said 0,the odometer quit moving, the check engine light was on, the battery light was on, and the security light was on. The first thing I thought was the speed sensor....but why all the lights? So I rode like that for awhile waiting for a change I was a little worried about pulling over because I was still about 100 miles from home and for the time being she was running fine. Anyway I pull into a gas station after about 5 miles or so of that shut the bike off and check the codes. I pulled U1016 on both the security and the speedometer positions. For future reference I'm putting a print out of the code meaning on the bike some where.......being 100 miles from home it didn't help me much in my garage:naughty I cleared the codes from both areas after visually inspecting the wires going to the speed sensor started the bike and everything was fine again. We rode home and everything worked fine the whole time.

Do you think the speed sensor would throw that code or even any code

When the speed sensor takes a vacation, it could be a temp one or a permanent one. It will set a code because the data isn't being transmitted to the ECM for proper fuel and other features. Pull it out and see what "fuzz" is on it but I would recommend replacing it rather than cleaning it, that never seems to cure the problem when you clean them for very long if at all.
More than likely it has never been out and you will find quite a bit of "fuzz" on it depending on what trnas lube has been used and the mileage on the bike now.

I'm running Spectro 6 speed right now, and before that Amsoil gear lube, I have a little over 14,000 miles on the bike right now. I've been running the 6 speed lube since 5,000 miles. What I was wondering was why all the lights. Maybe it has something to do with the ThunderMax. If it's the speed sensor it's still under warranty.

There were issues with the TM on the newer bikes, contact Zippers to get the particulars on the unit.

What version of the firmware is installed in the TMax?

I'm using the 2008.0.7 software and the 4.8 firmware on the module.

I cleared the code's again Saturday and went riding and had no issue and the codes did not return. I emailed zippers and explained what happened, So now I guess I just wait and see if it happens again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you disconnect the battery/main fuse?reset after if ya did?With the current set up seriel data loss stuff seems to be a problem of the past.Make sure battery bolts are properly tightened or you will fry the ECU.

Did you disconnect the battery/main fuse?reset after if ya did?With the current set up seriel data loss stuff seems to be a problem of the past.Make sure battery bolts are properly tightened or you will fry the ECU.
I haven't unhooked the battery. The first thing I checked was the battery connections. I've got about 1000 miles since the last firmware upgrade, but I did have it in the shop having the primary worked on. I made sure to tell them if they disconnected the battery to pull the fuse how to toggle the ignition to reinitialize the ecm, and they told me they never unhooked it, but who knows. I've got about 100 miles on it since the speedo problem, and when I last cleared the codes and all seems good so far so I don't think the Ecm is bad......at least I hope not. I really like the TMax, but I'm real tired of this dealership/stealership. If ya look at my primary whining thread you'll see why. I just wish I could take my bike to a shop and know that they did what they told me they did. I don't have time to babysit the mechanics, and I really don't think I should have to either:(

Well I guess it might be the TMax unit I just got this email back from Zippers.

Matt,

This event has been known to occur with a small number of ThunderMax systems and is related to our ECM function, not the H-D components. There has been some notation of the event occurring after a recent link with SmartLinkIV but research is not yet conclusive. Typically the gauges and lights will reset to their normal function after cycling the ignition switch with no performance problems resulting.

Our engineers are working to pinpoint and resolve the source of the issue. Currently, we have recommended installing the latest firmware and map as a first line for correction. If the issue persists, we will replace the ECM portion of the unit under warranty. Contact me for return instructions if needed.

Back