What next?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by nramike, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nramike

nramike Member

Have a 98 Superglide...has SE II mufflers...just installed Harley Stage One breather kit that came with the paper filter...with kit installed #180 main and#45 pilot...on test ride yesterday I am experiencing alot of coughing and more popping on decel...mainly at around town lower to maybe low mid range rpm...I am assuming this is a lean condition...did the 4th gear at 70+ and back off the throttle test...seems to be even decel...thinking about putting a #46 pilot...did not play with the needle thinking this would effect the entire rpm range..have different needles that came with various kits...am I on the right track...at about 3500 ft elevation...Thnx
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Understanding CV Carbs - Harley Davidson Community sounds like a solid plan try shimming the needle

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I would try a 185 before i'd do anything else..

The Cough is probably just Not enough fuel.. Does it Cough when twisting the throttle or at a cruise speed???
    describe that a little better and ????

I also would Leave Carb on the bike to do the work.. Easier than Pulling OFF each time you need to do a jet ..

Have you removed the lead cover that HIDS the Idle adjustment screw? If not NOW would be a good time to do so.. 1.5 to 2.5 turnout MAX Then if Not idling RIGHT in that area of Screw,,,, Then you need to change out the IDLE Jet..NOT before. I think it is enough now but the adjustment will tell you IF ?
    bigger or smaller Jet is needed

I replaced My 4 phillips headed float bowl screws with 5/8 allen headed and NOT for torquing down tighter BUT easy removal of the bowl, While Carb is On the Bike.. Careful about putting the accelerator pump pusher back IN correctly. I have left it dangling in mid air before loosing the rubber and the arm..
    Get back with the cough and answers will come..

4. nramike

nramike Member

Seems to be low rpm at a constant throttle.....plug has been removed but have not adjusted...wanted to ride before changing more...yip carb on is the way to go...ran out of time yesterday and thought i would seek input before round 2