free website stats program What new tire to buy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What new tire to buy

I need new tires (f/r) for my '07 Ultra.
Have the Dunlop E3's but I want more sipes on the tire.
Running Continental Milestones on my Sportster and I like them very well.
Going to give them a try this year on the Ultra.
Stock Dunlop came with 7/32" tread.
The Continental had 9/32".

How many miles did you get out of the E3's? I agree that they could use a few more sipes (good word use) on the center.

but I agree 100% with BlaineG, I have been in some rain that I thought I was crazy for riding in and had no slippage or skidding what so ever from my OE Dunlops.

Isn't BlaineG saying that Dunlops don't grip and they almost killed him? That's the way I am reading it (double negative?)

Isn't BlaineG saying that Dunlops don't grip and they almost killed him? That's the way I am reading it (double negative?)

Thanks Hoople you are correct. :panic

I should have read the post better. I have never experienced any thing like that......... My mistake:s

How many miles did you get out of the E3's? I agree that they could use a few more sipes (good word use) on the center.
I had 13K on the rear and more on the front.
Replacing 2 rears to 1 front.

Had about 6K (and plenty of tread) when I went on a trip to CA from Iowa. Still had enough tread when I returned 5K later but after a few more miles, it was time.

I have never had a problem with Dunlop tyres on any of my bikes, I do not like their car and truck tires tho, We see alot of cupping and premature wear here

Awhile back there was a survey on which tire brands were preferred my HDTimeline members, tried to find it in self-help with no luck, anyone know where it is?

I can't say about the survey. However Dunlop has a new tire called the American Elite. I have one on the rear of my Ultra. So far so good.

dun_10_tir_ame_eli_rea.jpg

I had 13K on the rear and more on the front.
Replacing 2 rears to 1 front.
Had about 6K (and plenty of tread) when I went on a trip to CA from Iowa. Still had enough tread when I returned 5K later but after a few more miles, it was time.

Thanks for the info. That's about the mileage I was hoping to see. I just switched to E3's from D402's that I was getting 7.5k rear and 15k front. I do miss the narrow white wall, but increased mileage should offset that.

I replaced my old tires with the same and will do it again, the OE Dunlops, 408 front and 407 rear are giving me excellent tire wear and traction.

OEM Dunlops D407/D408 are a very good and tested combination over many miles over many models over a balance of conditions. But your selection still is a matter of choice, other brands like Avon, Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzelers and Pirelli all offer replacements, but the key here is to match the size, load range and date code to match your acceptable level. While results will vary based on riding experience, applications and environ used will be your guide. I have used Metzelers for years on my sportbikes and on the Harley...but the Dunlops offer the best balance of mileage and traction for my Harley based here in Southern California...where it is dry and the temperatures moderate.:a

Back