free website stats program What milage out of your tyres | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What milage out of your tyres

I read in another thread that the road surface in New Zealand is very abrasive so your mileage may not be comparable to US miles.

I have 8,000 miles on my 07 WG and the tires look pretty much like new.

On my 2009 Fat Bob equipped with Dunlop 427, today I replaced the rear tire after 12,400 miles. Tread depth varied but averaged 2/32". It was time. Front has average 4/32" tread depth.

Re: What milage out of your tires

My last two rears I only got 6000 miles, Dunlaps

I do rider two up 99% of the time, possibly the reason I get such poor wear.

Re: What milage out of your tires

Many people who don't ride are surprised how poor tire mileage motorcyclists get. This is because the bike is constantly "scrubbing" the thread when doing simple turns as the rear tire is fixed, without any variable differential to convert side motion into radial movement in the rear...add to that the considerable horsepower to weight verses tire contact patch surface area, and we are lucky indeed to get over 10k miles on soft compound motorcycle tires. If you ride modestly "aggressive" you can lose an additional 25-40% of that mileage.

Last edited:
I got 15,000mi out of the original rear tire. Replaced the front with metzeler 21
inch. Seems like the new composition Dunlops are doing the job.

Thanks for all the feed back, i have heard from other people that our roads are alot more
course than other parts of the world, the one thing i do like about the Dunlops is they do stick very well to our roads, that makes me feel confidant on me bike when cornering.

19k mi. on original set, 10k and going on 2nd set of Dunlops. No burnouts, use cruise and not much hard braking. Tires get into my beer money!:cheers

here in plymouth england,we're surrounded by hills and windey roads,and more traffic islands(roundabouts per acre than the pope got priests)So I got only 6k on my rear Avon venom,and about the same..ish... on the front.I keep both tires at pillion pressures(40 psi rear,30 up front,according to the sticker on the frame down tubes).And ride responsibly,but not like a pensioner.lol

Back