What manual to use

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by desertroamer, Jun 23, 2008.

1. desertroamer

desertroamer Member

What manual do you guys use. I got an 2005 roadking custom and was wondering if the clymers is what everybody uses or is there a better one. I try to do all the maintenance myself on my vehicles that way if I breakdown I'm not completely lost and might be able to fix it on the road.

2. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

The genuine Harley manual is best and expensive.Just one of those things.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

HD factory manual, all the others are just not as good.

4. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Factory Manual for sure

5. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Factory manual 100%

6. SE103

SE103 Junior Member

Factory Manuals here dont waste your $$$ on the others

7. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

Harley manual.Also,a parts catalogue with exploded line drawings is a pretty
    good idea.Augments the manual nicely.

8. rocknrod

rocknrod Member

The FIRST thing you should buy is a Harley Service manual - Before you buy chrome.

9. Vibratinharley

Vibratinharley Junior Member

Yep, What they said. :bigsmiley8: I bought a Haynes manual and used it to work on my 90 FLHS. I didn't like the print and it didn't give you the details the HD Factory manual gives. When I bought my 2008 in November, the first thing I did was order a factory manual for it. Of course it took a little while to get as for some reason it was unavailable when I bought the bike but it was by far the most worthwhile investment I made for this bike as I like doing most of the maintenance work myself.

10. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Right. Factory service manual for your model and year is an essential part of your tool box. Some shops will have these on the discount pile, so look there first.

Also useful (but not essential) is the HD Parts manual again for your model and year.

Finally, for your model and year, you might consider the electical system diagnostic manual (this is on the luxury side of needs). You will need something to tap into the computer for the trouble codes like Daytona Sensors Twin Scan II. Makes figuring out all that "spooky" stuff easier.

TQ