free website stats program What is the right fuel to use? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is the right fuel to use?

Hi everyone, as a new "biker" I want to keep my bike in tip top shape. What octane do you guys use / recommend? My sporty manual says 87 or higher but here in Oklahoma that's the "cheap" stuff... Thanks in advance!

I try to run Sunoco Ultra 94 when I can find it,but if I can't I always run the highest octane I can find

Harley recommends 92/93 Octane because of the Compression is around 9:1 or 9.5:1 if I remember correctly. That is all I put in My Bikes!

Hi everyone, as a new "biker" I want to keep my bike in tip top shape. What octane do you guys use / recommend? My sporty manual says 87 or higher but here in Oklahoma that's the "cheap" stuff... Thanks in advance!

Lets' make this easy. Run a good name brand fuel. If the manual says 87 or higher then it just told you the octane to use. 87 octane is usually less expensive than the higher octane. If it pings, move up to a higher octane. Also, in same brand gas, the only difference between 87, 89, 91, 94 102 octane is the octane. The additives would be exactly the same. Told ya it was simple. :D
Ugly John

Octane number can vary based on measurement method. The final "tail of the tape" is under strong acceleration going up a hill, do you hear a "metallic rattle" that is referred as pinging? If so, you need to go to the next higher grade of gas and take it easy over the next few tank fulls or change vendor/brand before testing again. While you are conducting this little "experiment" try to use a station that does high volume and do not fill up if you see a tanker truck filling the underground reserve. JMHO :eam

That said, yes I use premium 91 octane, because my Sporty "pings" if I use a lower grade from my local gas station...using the above strategy. On my Katana, I would pump regular for normal in town, stop and go commute riding and put premium in when going for long hard trip or two up riding. :D

Last edited:
Mine calls for 87 but I usually put in midgrade to stop the pinging on acceleration. I seem to get better mileage on mid grade than high test too. Curious isn't it?

Bubba

I use the highest octane I can get . When I am back in Michigan that would be 93 octane but out in the western states it is 91 octane so I carry a octane booster with me & put in a little bit when I fill up . :naughty I use lucas octane boost & I just add 2 fl oz to a tank , I am just trying to get the octane up to 93 or 94 .

Higher than needed octane does little or nothing. Sufficient octane to eliminate the pinging is all that is needed to run best. Higher is just wasted money.

Back