free website stats program What is that noise?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is that noise??

I have an 08 Heritage Softail that will make that type of noise at certain rpm's/speed and is more pronounced in 4th or 5th. From what I've read its normal. Goes away once you get the rpm up.

My view why it is more noticeable on the Heritage than a batwing fairing equiped bike, is the chrome trim piece on the inside of the front forks that is below the gas tank. The position it is in will deflect any engine noises back up into the face of the rider. It could also be something with the harmonics of the ridgid mounted engine.

That's the plan. The warranty runs out in one year and 51 weeks. I'm taking it in this coming week.

I was going to try that today. I read that last night, and it sounds like it will work if the problem is the primary chain tensioner.

Thanks

I tried this technique several times today, but no change in the situation. Just for grins, I took my EG out and ran it in 5th gear at 40......no noise. I shifted into 6th at 40, and still no noise. Definitely lugging, though.

I'm thinking that the guys that suggested that it is the compensator are probably right.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and critiques. At the very least, I'll be able to talk with the dealer armed with y'alls (WV speak) input/:)

I'm with Glider. 5th gear at 40 mph would cause lugging with a 5 speed tranny, maybe your's is a 6 speed on the new models, which might still cause lugging. My lowest speed in 5th is around 48 or so with my 5 speed box, depending on the situation.

I went out on a long ride and TRIED the 40 in 5th gear... Man,,,PURE LUGGING.... I have no tack on my 09 FLHR. Mind you I have Many Years of riding..Lots of different bikes.I FEEL the bike I am On and WE become ONE with each other....

even with the SE255 cams that add More low end power, I found that i would be in 3 gear at 40 then 4th above that to cruise in... Never even got to or will use 5 gear EVER that low again....as That is Lugging Big Time..

My normal was 3 to 40/45 then 4 gear until 55 mph then 5 gear above 55 mph and only cruising on level ground.... Shifting down to 4 IF i needed to increase to pass... YES I do it by FEEL....

I never thought about this as MUCH as when I TRIED IT today...

LUG and NOISE go together...

Aren't the softails geared Higher than the other bikes to start with?

signed....BUBBIE

I have an 08 Heritage Softail that will make that type of noise at certain rpm's/speed and is more pronounced in 4th or 5th. From what I've read its normal. Goes away once you get the rpm up.

My view why it is more noticeable on the Heritage than a batwing fairing equiped bike, is the chrome trim piece on the inside of the front forks that is below the gas tank. The position it is in will deflect any engine noises back up into the face of the rider. It could also be something with the harmonics of the ridgid mounted engine.

THIS answers your question..... From your Very First Post you did.....

I would NOT care what "other" softail bikes work at,,,,, Just Your bike... FEEL with it next time you go out on it... Let YOUR bike tell you How IT feels about lugging and NOT Lugging.... Shift it up taller, Later and Let it BREATH and it will be happy and it will stay away from the doctor longer....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS answers your question..... From your Very First Post you did.....

I would NOT care what "other" softail bikes work at,,,,, Just Your bike... FEEL with it next time you go out on it... Let YOUR bike tell you How IT feels about lugging and NOT Lugging.... Shift it up taller, Later and Let it BREATH and it will be happy and it will stay away from the doctor longer....:D

signed....BUBBIE

I didn't post the orginal question, just answered it.

I didn't post the orginal question, just answered it.

Yes cycleman11, I had a problem with wording my post Correctly.. I should of put in countryroads so it would of been understood better..

Your answer i made in red was a GOOD one.. I was trying to use Your post as a GREAT answer to the Original problem that "countryroads" posted... Just didn't do it correctly ..

Thank you cycleman11, :D

signed....BUBBIE

Back