free website stats program What is my rear tire hitting??? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is my rear tire hitting???

Foxman

I noticed that the rear tire on my 02' electra is develiping a line directly down the center of the tire. I heard it scrape when riding 2 up last time out. I had the air shocks in the rear aired up to 10 psi, and me and the wife combined are less than 350 lbs... The prev owner had a lowering kit put on to lower the rear about 2" I believe (Shock mount kit). I've tried to feel up into the fender with my hand but can't fint what's scraping the tire when hitting a big bump / dip. The line in the tire looks like something sharp is hitting. Could this be the seat mount bolt? the end of the seat mount bolt is flat... I upped the PSI to 20 and it's been good solo so far. just wondering what I can knock off on the underside of the rear fender to stop the tire line...

You are most likely hitting the screw that holds the seat on. You can also damage the tail light wiring since it runs under the fender. Unless you absolutely need the lowering kit which I am assuming has the shocks moved back, I would remove it. you will notice a better ride without them. I am speaking from my own experience. S

Having it lowered 2 inch's is the problem. you should be running about 25 lbs when your 2 up anyhow. You might end up taking off the rear tire so you get a better look at what's rubbing.

If lowered with a lower kit instead of low profile shocks, the best solution would be to remove brackets before something is damaged or breaks...
Not a good way to lower suspension with brackets for it changing characteristics of shock operation....

You are most likely hitting the screw that holds the seat on. You can also damage the tail light wiring since it runs under the fender. Unless you absolutely need the lowering kit which I am assuming has the shocks moved back, I would remove it. you will notice a better ride without them. I am speaking from my own experience. S

Take the shock lowering blocks off, this will correct the angle of the rear shocks and give you the proper clearance Ask me and Joe how we know:s

100_1121.jpg

100_1118.jpg

This is where mine is rubbing. I have a 99 Ultra with a Dunlop 140/90/16. It is more towards the front of the fender, I did not notice any rub marks on the seat bolt.

Toby

same thing happened to a friend on a custom bike...in his case he had ti shorten the screw

I concur with the others, lowering kit is the problem. IMO those shock relocation lowering kits are garbage. If you need to have the bike lower use low profile shocks that are designed for your bike.

Back