free website stats program What is it with cagers and their cell phones? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is it with cagers and their cell phones?

Nob doubt! I've got staff that if left unattended, can be found in the break room texting. Drives me nuts. One of the things I love about being on my bike - I might as well be on the moon because NO one can call me.

+1 You make an excellent point about rider-friendly groups banding together on this matter. Only thing that matters to pols is numbers. Only problem is the pols will not want to give up THEIR cell phones so passing legislation will be tough. They have tried several times here in La. to no avail. Friday morning,I was sitting on a bench outside the breakfast joint, waiting for a bud to eat breakfast with, then ride. 3 cages(all large suv's) pulled in, 2 drivers yakking on a cell and the 3rd. was putting on her eye make-up, semi-negotiating the lot in their 6k lb. destruction machines. Like you said...scary.

Everyone whether they ride a scoot or not should have to take a riders course.

Look how a motorcycle rider acts when driving a cage and motorcycles are around. You all know what I'm talking about.

My son's hockey coach is a motorcycle cop in my town. He told me he dumped his police bike while waiting at an intersection because a woman made a left-hand turn around him while holding her cell phone to her ear with her shoulder, putting on mascara, and holding a cup of coffee and a cigarette in her other hand. She did all this while making a turn infront of the cop and almost ran him over. He said he had to jump off his bike to keep from being swiped by her car.

It sounds as if legislation, where it is in place, is not enforced nor obeyed. Personally, I do what I can. I refuse to talk to anyone on a cell that is driving a car, do not talk on my cell while driving and keep my eyes open wide.

Here in NJ, there was a big furor about cell phones a few years ago. The police were going to be out in force ticketing anyone caught using the cell while driving. Well, if they are giving tickets, it doesn't seem to be having any effect. As a matter of fact, most police officers that I pass are on their cell phones, and I doubt that all of those calls are in the line of duty. Your safety on a bike is like your safety in your home....it's your responsibility...

A guy just about a half hour ago almost pulled out on me and sure enough one hand on the wheel and one hand on the ear. But I cannot get in a huss over the cell phone and driving cause I do it too. But if your going to do it, make sure your watching the road..

Spent some time in Costa Rica, there it's illegal to drive and use a cell phone. Folks will pull over to use 'em. Perhaps we should take a lesson!

Spent some time in Costa Rica, there it's illegal to drive and use a cell phone. Folks will pull over to use 'em. Perhaps we should take a lesson!
Americans are in too much of a rush to pull over and use the phone. The only way that people are going to put down the phone is if they ban them. But there are alternatives, we have Ford Sync in the wife's UTE and it is really cool, every thing links up and you can just talk hands free. I will be getting sync in my truck in July, I am looking forward to having the hands free system, just for the safety factor.

You should have seen the supermarket in my town. We had a complete log jam of shopping carts caused by four women converging on each other with, you guessed it, cell phones on their ears!

It seems people cannot shop and talk on the phones either!

Back