free website stats program What is done on 1000 mile 1st service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is done on 1000 mile 1st service

If you bought the bike from the dealer that's putting you off for 4 weeks, you've got a right to be a little ticked. I sure wouldn't be happy with that.

I have read post on here and other forums about self maintenance while a motorcycle is under warranty and I always ask myself how are you going to prove that you did what was required and did it properly.

If you have a receipt for oil, filter, ect. what does that really prove?

Yes it shows you bought it and the date of purchase but did the new oil make it into the bike? Did you really change the filter or add the right amount of oil or put it in the right place?

Maybe you gave the oil to a friend or your kid used it in his car.

How are you going to prove the mileage at which you change it? I could write anything I want in the book.

What qualifications do you have? Are you a mechanic or certified in any way to work on a motorcycle?

If something fails how are you going to prove that you followed all of the required maintenance?

you do not have to prove anything - it is down to the MoCo or their appointed dealer to prove that what you did caused the failure not the other way round

I guess what I am feeling is that as a private person it would be an up hill battle fighting the dealer/MoCo if a failure were to happen to the motorcycle under warranty and I performed the service and just had receipts to show that I bought products.

I still think the MO/Co would yeild the power in a dispute.

Under warranty I pay the dealer to do the service even if I think the price is a rip off. This gives me proper documentation should a failure occur.

Out of warranty I do it myself.

Back