free website stats program What is done on 1000 mile 1st service | Harley Davidson Forums

What is done on 1000 mile 1st service

BuffaloBill

Hello
I just called my HD dealer to Schedule my 1st 1000 mile service. Servcie Dept said 4 weeks before they could get me in. I did my Fluid changes this weekend Mobil #1 in Crankcase Royal purple 75/90 Synthetic Gear Lube in Tranny and B&N Super Synthetic ATF in Primary. I also checked/did a visual and had 1 loose bolt on the Saddlebag guards to tighten Other then the Clutch adjustment andl ubricating the cable Should I even bother taking the 09 UC in/

Please advise

ThankYou
BuffaloBill

Hello
I just called my HD dealer to Schedule my 1st 1000 mile service. Servcie Dept said 4 weeks before they could get me in. I did my Fluid changes this weekend Mobil #1 in Crankcase Royal purple 75/90 Synthetic Gear Lube in Tranny and B&N Super Synthetic ATF in Primary. I also checked/did a visual and had 1 loose bolt on the Saddlebag guards to tighten Other then the Clutch adjustment andl ubricating the cable Should I even bother taking the 09 UC in/

Please advise

ThankYou
BuffaloBill

The choice is, of course, yours. If you have the ability and confidence to do the work yourself (and you have the HD Factory Service Manual!!), get after it. Go through the scheduled service section of your Owner's Manual and do that stuff.

On the primary oil, you will see lots of thoughts here:

Primary Lube Poll - Harley Davidson Community

Many of us do not advocate using a synthetic in the primary. Formula Plus or Spectro Primary are a couple of good alternatives.

TQ

Hello

Please advise

ThankYou
BuffaloBill

Here's the dealer service schedules.

Maintenance Schedules For Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

Hello

Please advise

ThankYou
BuffaloBill

I can't imagine waiting 4 weeks for service - every time I call my dealer for any kind of service ,- it's always within the same week. Maybe you should think about changing dealers.

Glider put the link up for the list.
Sounds like a good start so far also check that every thing is tight
The ATF in Primary is a bit scary your wet clutch is not and automatic.
I know that there has been a myth going around for years about it being good for the primary , It has not been shown to be true.
If you can do the rest of the services and check yourself no real reason to take it in just keep records.
Thanks Smitty
I want to do the right thing What would you advise as far as primary

PS I used it on my 03 RK 33K miles no problems also used it on my 07 EGC 23K No Problems The 09 will probably be my last ride (Retiring soon) so I want to make sure it will be with me a long time
Thanks
BuffaloBill

I would as they check wheel and head bearings and belt as well as changing oils

I have had a squeak after my 1000 mile service by the dealership and tonight checked the drive belt tension. .75 inch deflection instead of .0375. So I says if you are competent and have the manual do it yourself to get it right.

Today had my 1k chkup on my 09 EG @ HotRod HD, Muskegon MI. Took it in at 0845 (in 40deg weather) and had it out by 1050. Gasket service kit; oil filter, 1 qt 20W50 oil; Formula+Lubriant, qt. I chose to get the 20k option so, it was nice that it was "free" (ya right). No sweat. :bigsmiley23: Thanks Smitty901 for your helpful links.

where are you located? we've slowed down at work to the point that you come in and are out in 2 hrs.

I bought a 1200 custom new in 01. When it came time for the checkup I called a harley rep and asked him if I cuold do it my self without voiding the warranty. He said yes as long as I kept the receipts for oil & filter and any thing else I did to the bike.My owners manual had a check list of the stuff they would do.I performed all the procedures recommended & checked them off. I had purchased the extended warranty for $ 999.00 & at about 3,000 miles rear rocker started leaking.I bought the cometic gakets and replaced them myself. Saved me about $950.00 , because after the warranty exspired & you had no claims you got all the money back.

I was wondering the warranty would be voided if you did some of the work on your own, seeing how in a way your taking money out of the dealers pocket by not letting them do the service. I would hope it wouldn't, due to the fact you put all that money out to buy the bike, but that is what it is about, the all mighty dollar!!

Back