free website stats program What is a good bike for a beginner? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a good bike for a beginner?

Another thing you may consider is getting a smaller dirtbike first. Don't get a crazy two stroke, but a nice smooth four stroke. They are very easy to learn on, very manueverable and you won't cry if you drop it or scratch it. I am sure you could pick up something for a couple grand tops and then sell it for that when you are done with it.

There are some very valuable lessons learned riding on dirt or grass that may pay off big time the first time you ride a street bike across wet grass or loose gravel. It also does not hurt as much if you fall over in grass instead of on asphalt. Well, usually.:s

I also feel that if you get comfortable on that, then switching to the bike you want is not such a big deal. I have a Fatboy. It is low, well balanced and very easy to ride. Don't let the weight of the bigger bikes scare you, most have a lower center of gravity so you don't notice the weight.

There are many good points brought up in this thread. Just don't let someone talk you into something you don't want.

Good Luck!

Attending the MSF gets you your license in most states. Pass the course, go get your license... No other road test involved... In Florida you can only get a license thru the MSF course. The Florida DMV does not give motorcycle road tests.

DDog, you have ridden before, even if it was 30 years ago. It's just like riding a bike... Once you've done it, you just need some pratice to get back in the swing...

But riding that bike for the 1st you may have some problems while you learn.

Why are "crotch rockets" give us a bad name? Who is us? I ride "crotch rockets" in addition to my Harleys.... I have track day bikes. Could it be these crotch rocket rider are more praticed at turning? More praticed at handling their machines. Neither style of bike handles well at 5 mph. Sport bikes are made to handle in the corners. Harleys are not.

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again... When was the last time any one on this board praticed emergency braking or maneuvers? It's probably been a long while for most, if not all. If you don't pratice them, the skills may not be there then you need 'em.

So needless to say, I find your remark offensive. Your statement is a perfect example of the "I ride a Harley and you don't" attitude that creates a un-needed seperation/tension between riding communities. I ride both so I guess I'm giving you a bad name... Sorry if sport bike riders make you feel your skills are less than what they could be...

Who cares what you're riding? All that matters is that your ARE riding!

Hopefully, that is not what he was implying. I did not take it that way. I immediately thought of the idiots passing me at 80mph on the back tire, weaving in and out of traffic! We are infested with them around DC and Baltimore. They do give motorcycles in general a bad name. Just like everything there are idiots causing problems and the larger group pays for it. I know there are idiots on harleys as well, just go to any bike event and watch. They have a strange way of making themselves known.

Whatever you end up buying, just be respectful of others.

Hopefully, that is not what he was implying. I did not take it that way. I immediately thought of the idiots passing me at 80mph on the back tire, weaving in and out of traffic! We are infested with them around DC and Baltimore. They do give motorcycles in general a bad name. Just like everything there are idiots causing problems and the larger group pays for it. I know there are idiots on harleys as well, just go to any bike event and watch. They have a strange way of making themselves known.

Whatever you end up buying, just be respectful of others.

Hopefully your correct and it was not meant in that way. I have seen the idiot sport bike guys doing stuff that is best done on the track. That's why I go to track days. It keeps the hooligan in check. I have also seen the Harley guys doing stuff that that gives all motorcylist a bad name.

That pretty much ends my rant on that...

To the OP, get something you can learn on. If it an old XS400 great. If it a new Harley great. Just ride it! Get some experience under your belt. Pratice is the key to riding safe. And above all else have a good time doing it.

Well with me, I never drove a street bike before my Harley. I had driven dirt bikes as a kid but that was about it. I bought a Wide Glide as my first bike jumped on and have been fine ever since. The biggest rule I would say with riding a bike is confidence. I cannot tell you how many guys have said to me I would love to get a bike, but I am afraid of getting hit or dropping the thing. My answer without being a wise guy is, then it is best that you don't get one then. My advise would be, make sure you have no fear about riding the bike and have no doubts this is what you want and then go out and look at bikes and see what feels good. For a first bike make sure your feet stay flat on the ground, this IMO would be the most important thing. Then just see what feels good and looks good too you. Believe me with in a week you will be riding what ever you buy like a champ, so don't get something too small, you will be sorry with in a short time. Another bit of advise is to take a three day MCS course if you have never ridden anything what so ever. Some states provide it for free and then there are other schools that charge a fee. These classes fill up quick, so apply now!!, you will need your permit first. These courses provide smaller bikes and give all the low down on safety and skills needed to ride a bike, you will also be exempted from the road test if you pass the course. I never took the course, but I tried, there was a two month waiting list and the fee course was like $300 bucks, I did not feel like waiting or shelling out the money. If I have never driven two wheels before, I would have have made this a must do before I got on any bike. Good luck.

I apologize SledDog. I just see these kids doing 80 in a 50 going in and out of traffic on those crotch rockets. Don't get me wrong and I agree with you, riding is riding. Back 30 years ago you didn't need a cycle license here in Michigan. There were so many kids killing themselves on those bikes, the state started a training course. Again, don't get me wrong about the bike, it's the rider that makes us all look bad. I've owned two Hondas, (2) Truimphs and a Kawaski. This is my first Harley. I've always been a responsible rider and obey the laws. I ride like there is a tomorrow. I'm 55 years old, that's probably why those kids (edit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sheepdogmarine. That's exactly what I meant. I love a motorcycle. I don't care what make. Again, it's the rider that give us (responsible riders) a bad name. Meaning those who have taken the course and respect the power between their legs. Drive with respect to others and don't act stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took the rider-ed course the plan was for me to take over my hushand's XL883L. Upon further consideration (and after dropping the bike 3 times within about 15 minutes), I had to rethink that plan and called the person who sold us the Heritage Classic and asked him to get me a Honda Rebel 250.Two weeks later I had my new bike.After practicing in many different parking lots and logging about 3000 miles on the Rebel, I tried the Sportster again. At first I was still very intimidated by the bike but little by little I got used to it and started thinking about the things I could do to make it more"my bike". Now after selling the Rebel, and logging about 3000 miles on the Sporty, I think it's"MINE".I'll never regret the time I spent on the Rebel,and I recommend it heartiy as a "First bike". Now after changing the clutch and adding a windshield and going on 5 organized road rides this year, I'm waiting for my new gas tank,seat and forward controls to be put on and then watch me go..................Not bad for a 63 year old Grandmother,eh ????

When I took the rider-ed course the plan was for me to take over my hushand's XL883L. Upon further consideration (and after dropping the bike 3 times within about 15 minutes), I had to rethink that plan and called the person who sold us the Heritage Classic and asked him to get me a Honda Rebel 250.Two weeks later I had my new bike.After practicing in many different parking lots and logging about 3000 miles on the Rebel, I tried the Sportster again. At first I was still very intimidated by the bike but little by little I got used to it and started thinking about the things I could do to make it more"my bike". Now after selling the Rebel, and logging about 3000 miles on the Sporty, I think it's"MINE".I'll never regret the time I spent on the Rebel,and I recommend it heartiy as a "First bike". Now after changing the clutch and adding a windshield and going on 5 organized road rides this year, I'm waiting for my new gas tank,seat and forward controls to be put on and then watch me go..................Not bad for a 63 year old Grandmother,eh ????

GO GRANDMA , GO GRANDMA , GO GRANDMA !!! ha !!

A Harley riding grandmother...Rock On!:newsmile048:

Something to think of:

I love my Sportster, "BUT" if I would have known that my wife would like riding as much as she does, I would have moved up to something bigger and more comfortable for 2, & more comfortable for distance riding---weekend trips---along the line of a Heritage Softail Classic. Windshield, bags and back rest already on. More of a touring bike, or possibly a Road Glide/Electra Glide size bike.

I hadn't ridden in 15-18 yrs and was perfectly comfortable with my wife on the back in about 25 miles of riding.

As suggested-- do a beginner's course, ride or sit on as many diff models as possible and get as big a bike as your budget allows. Just my .02. Tracy
The solution to that is get your wife riding the Sporty and you move up to a bigger bike.That's how I ended up on my '05 XL883L and my husband on his Heritage Classic.

Back