free website stats program What is a good bike for a beginner? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a good bike for a beginner?

Something to think of:

I love my Sportster, "BUT" if I would have known that my wife would like riding as much as she does, I would have moved up to something bigger and more comfortable for 2, & more comfortable for distance riding---weekend trips---along the line of a Heritage Softail Classic. Windshield, bags and back rest already on. More of a touring bike, or possibly a Road Glide/Electra Glide size bike.

I hadn't ridden in 15-18 yrs and was perfectly comfortable with my wife on the back in about 25 miles of riding.

As suggested-- do a beginner's course, ride or sit on as many diff models as possible and get as big a bike as your budget allows. Just my .02. Tracy

Hobbit brings a good point and that is saddle height. While the Sporsters are lighter, they are also taller. The cruisers (Road King, Electra Glides) sit a bit lower which gives less top-heaviness. While seated, you should be able to have both feet flat on the ground when stopped. If you have to extend your toes to keep it up when stopped, the bike is too tall for you. Just my $0.02.

Whatever you choose, take a course and ride safe.
Jammr

Ahhhhh..... The old which bike should a beginner buy thread again...

Here's my 4 cents (inflation, and the goverment needed additional revenue for the 700 billion dollar bail-out).

There are only 2 types of riders, those that have been down and the those that will go down. "New" riders tend to have an "oops" more than experience riders...

Having said that, I will now violate the "you gotta ride a Harley no matter what your experience level" is rule...

Buy a bike you really don't care about. Get something that you can drop because you forgot to put the jiffy stand down, dropped because you tapped the front brake while doing a slow speed turn and dropped because you where on an un-even surface, dropped because the bike stalled pulling away from your driveway/stoplight/intersection/girlfriends house/or just what ever.

It would be really bad to spend a boat load on money on the harley of your dreams (or harley you care about) only to have it be dropped a few times. Get something you can drop, get something you can make mistakes on. Get something cheap, that you can re-sell cheap. Save your money and get some experience under your belt.

Your ability to learn and make those new rider mistakes (that we all have made) is directly related to the cost of your first bike, IMHO. Something cheap, easier to get over dropping it. Something expensive, less likely to try a maneuver you learn in class because you may have an oops.

Rider training is great! Do it! Then do it again! Then do it some more! But, it does not replace experience gained on the road...

Want to take a class that will really help you after you've been riding a while? Try Freddie Spencers riding school or Keith Code's. They have classes for riders that want to sharpen their skills on the street. And they teach more advanced techniques than the MSF classes.

Last edited:
I agree with SledDog and Tigg. Buy something YOU feel comfortable on like a 350CC or so till you get the feel of riding. If you drop it, no big deal then when you have the confidence, move on up to what ever you want to ride.

Absolutly start smaller, Honda makes some nice starter bikes. You'll get bored fast but the riding experience will make you feel more relaxed when you pick your HD. And take a riding course if you've never sat in the saddle before. And then practice,practice,practice get those road burns feeling like leather(just kidding) Good Luck.

I can definately relate to this question. New rider, first bike. I went to the dealer and just sat on quite a few different bikes. I stood it up, moved it back and forth, sat on it and then the salesman held the handlebars and wiggled it back and forth with me on and my feet up so I could see how it felt. This was my first bike and I didnt know how to ride. Never ridden except on the back. I picked a sporty, not by color but by fit. I love my bike. Then I took the safety coarse and believe me it was well worth it!! We had 6 people in our group that have never even sat on a cycle before and everyone passed!

I agree with DavidW, get the bike you want and what you budget can afford. Believe me, once you have it, you'll find you want this and that, and this and that. I'm riding for the first time in over 30 years. Bought a FatBob. Love it. Heavy bike and had a heck of a time with the cones at my test, but practice makes perfect. Also, take the test with your own bike. Some guys go out and ride a little scooter thru the course, then get on their Harley and think they can make those sharp turns. Be careful, learn your bike, and be responsible. I hate these crotch rockets giving us a bad name.

I agree with DavidW, get the bike you want and what you budget can afford. Believe me, once you have it, you'll find you want this and that, and this and that. I'm riding for the first time in over 30 years. Bought a FatBob. Love it. Heavy bike and had a heck of a time with the cones at my test, but practice makes perfect. Also, take the test with your own bike. Some guys go out and ride a little scooter thru the course, then get on their Harley and think they can make those sharp turns. Be careful, learn your bike, and be responsible. I hate these crotch rockets giving us a bad name.

Attending the MSF gets you your license in most states. Pass the course, go get your license... No other road test involved... In Florida you can only get a license thru the MSF course. The Florida DMV does not give motorcycle road tests.

DDog, you have ridden before, even if it was 30 years ago. It's just like riding a bike... Once you've done it, you just need some pratice to get back in the swing...

But riding that bike for the 1st you may have some problems while you learn.

I hate these crotch rockets giving us a bad name.

Why are "crotch rockets" give us a bad name? Who is us? I ride "crotch rockets" in addition to my Harleys.... I have track day bikes. Could it be these crotch rocket rider are more praticed at turning? More praticed at handling their machines. Neither style of bike handles well at 5 mph. Sport bikes are made to handle in the corners. Harleys are not.

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again... When was the last time any one on this board praticed emergency braking or maneuvers? It's probably been a long while for most, if not all. If you don't pratice them, the skills may not be there then you need 'em.

So needless to say, I find your remark offensive. Your statement is a perfect example of the "I ride a Harley and you don't" attitude that creates a un-needed seperation/tension between riding communities. I ride both so I guess I'm giving you a bad name... Sorry if sport bike riders make you feel your skills are less than what they could be...

Who cares what you're riding? All that matters is that your ARE riding!

Last edited:
Back