free website stats program What is a good bike for a beginner? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a good bike for a beginner?

LoverofLife

As someone who has never owned, ridden etc. a bike before...what is a good one to look at getting for a beginner?

As someone who has never owned, ridden etc. a bike before...what is a good one to look at getting for a beginner?

There are more qualified people that can answere that.

Go to your local HD deealer and just sit on the different models and just get the feel of the bike.

Look for
Ease of controls
Seat comfortable
Leg room
How does the bike feel - Sounds weird , but it will make sense after sitting on a bike a few times.

By all means, take someone with you if it will make you more comfortable... most dealers sponser a riders safety course call "Riders Edge" recommended for the novice rider, you'll probably learn on a Buell Blast...a single cylinder "sporty" engine but don't let that fool you the little buggers got some torque...the bike you pick for your own will
1st appeal to you
2nd fit your budget
3rd fit your needs
4th fit your physical size
for an entry level I'd recommend the FXD, it's inexpensive, very manuverable and can be an excellent pallet for future customization...
I agree with Garys advice but...
I think you should have said of the FXD, "It's inexpensive for a Harley...":)
"It's very maneuverable for a Harley..."
I've ridden a lot of bikes and I don't consider my FXDB very maneuverable. I think it's rather big, heavy and slow. It's exactly the kind of bike I enjoy riding though.
Harley doesn't make a bike I consider inexpensive.
I think a new rider would serve him/herself well by getting a second hand Honda or Suzuki 400-650cc and learn how to ride first.
A Harley is a big powerful bike for somebody who's never ridden.

Please don't take this as me being a "smarty-britches" ---- BUT, as you self -described above ------- Don't think about buying one right now. Get yourself familar with bikes. Read,ask questions on this forum, go to local bike shops,ride on the back of your friends bikes, whatever it takes to familiarize you self with a motorcylce ..... When you get all of that done,look for a rider's class in your area. If you have to ---take it twice!! THEN start looking for a bike as already stated ---- fits YOU. You have seen what happens as a EMS/EMT when a cage / scoot meet in the wrong way. I would bet everybody on here would rather sit and answer your questions until you get to the point of ownership than read about something after the fact. What ever you choose to do --- PLEASE --- choose wisely and be sure of it.

Please don't take this as me being a "smarty-britches" ---- BUT, as you self -described above ------- Don't think about buying one right now. Get yourself familar with bikes. Read,ask questions on this forum, go to local bike shops,ride on the back of your friends bikes, whatever it takes to familiarize you self with a motorcylce ..... When you get all of that done,look for a rider's class in your area. If you have to ---take it twice!! THEN start looking for a bike as already stated ---- fits YOU. You have seen what happens as a EMS/EMT when a cage / scoot meet in the wrong way. I would bet everybody on here would rather sit and answer your questions until you get to the point of ownership than read about something after the fact. What ever you choose to do --- PLEASE --- choose wisely and be sure of it.

I definitely do not think of your response as a smarty pants response. That's the main reason I joined this site...to get the "expert" advice of more experienced riders. My friends tell me I have an annoying habit of researching things to death and I feel that big decisions such as this deserve a lot of research and asking of those with "field time".

I definitely do not think of your response as a smarty pants response. That's the main reason I joined this site...to get the "expert" advice of more experienced riders. My friends tell me I have an annoying habit of researching things to death and I feel that big decisions such as this deserve a lot of research and asking of those with "field time".

Ask your friends what would be the better of the two ----- researching things to death or being told of the death of a friend who did not reseach???? ANYWAY ------ lots of questions to be asked / answered on this subject. If you do some reading here --- I'm sure this topic has been discussed already...

I would check your local community colleges or parks departement for riding courses.
My first bike was a Fatboy. It only took about two days for me to feel really comfortable riding it. I would recomend getting the nicest bike you budget will allow. that way you wont be out looking to upgrade in a month or so. That's just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted on you search for the right bike, and welcome to the family.

Back