free website stats program what is a chopper to you? | Harley Davidson Forums

what is a chopper to you?

It is old school back to the basics build it in your garage fabrication. None of this "factory" Arlen Ness, Big Dog, OCC stuff. That stuff just has no heart. JMHO

Just received the latest HOG magazine with an article on Choppers.
I didn't read it yet, thus I give you my simple personal definition.
A bike mounting a V-Twin with low seat, ape handlebar, thin front wheel but with a diameter larger than the rear wheel, long fork good for riding straight (not so good for hairpins... :s), forward controls, well visible sissy bar, small fuel tank.
What else?
Color and quantity of chrome is not important.
Oh... I forgot... must be LOUD!
:)

It doesn't mean too much to me, anyway: I get my freedom with some more usable bikes.

Ciao
Ugo

Last edited:
To me "chopper" means extended and raked front end, rear suspension is optional.
I have a flatside shovel engine in a wishbone rigid frame, 21" front wheel, no f. fender,narrow glide front, etc. I don't feel comfortable calling it a "chopper", it's also not exactly a "bobber". Although almost every part on it is rebuilt or new, I mostly refer to it as a "rat", although it's not dirty, rusty or assembled with non motorcycle pieces. I guess "shovelstein" is most accurate.

a chopper is a piece of rollin art that for nearly all intents and purposes is eye candy. if we'd all be honest here-- they really aint the best option for everday ridin-- but since when were harley owners everday type of people? thats why i own the chopped badboy and a bmw for ultra long hauls., although i ve ridden the springer to sturgis --2000 miles 1 way --- 3 times and to daytona 15 times-- which is 600 miles one way.............. by the way i never stop untill a minimum of 500 miles is reached.

A chopper is a motorcycle that has been modified to create the least comfortable riding position while being adorned with the most expensive and gaudy paint job possible. The exhaust also has to be able to set off car alarms from a distance of 1000 feet. I believe high maintenance is also another requirement.:lero

To me, chopper is a show bike more or less, not for every day use and rarely get ride on the road from point A to B.

It's doesn't mean much to me anyway.

Hobbit's description and Animals pics are "choppers".They have as much weight as possible "chopped" off and still run.Frame mods, gussets cut and a triangle welded in to give it more rake and longer tubes to prop it up,a smaller gas tank(Sporty peanut tank,very popular), no front brakes.etc etc...Whats sells and is being called choppers nowadays are nothing more than custom made billet barges.
I was told a very long time ago how you make a chopper is " Take your stock bike, start it up and start cutting /taking parts off until it stalls....put that last piece back on and yer done!!! LOL

Back