free website stats program What is a "biker" | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a "biker"

Well said Glider!

I'm amused when someone calls me a "biker" since I'm 5'5 and don't look like I could pick my sporty up off the kickstand, let alone pick it up out of the dirt. Again, it's all in the context of the conversation. But when the 'stereotypical biker' just assumes that I'm a passenger, I very much enjoy correcting him and seeing his jaw just about hit the floor. :small3d005:

Good for you Lady Rider! You show 'em!:D

I agree with Hobbit...More women should ride their own.

My youngest daughter just finished putting her first basket case together. The smile on her face the first time she fired it up and rode it down the street was priceless.

What is really scarry is the mods she wants to do to it.

The kid has her Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Texas A&M.

Those Aggie engineers has come up with some crazy stuff over the years.

I think it is more along the lines of the Jay Leno Jet Bike.

She has this real need for speed.

Way to fast for this old Marine.....

In defense of Salty Language. Ok, not here obviously. First let me say that I have slipped here & because this is such a great site, I have cleaned up my language in order to stay.. but! I joined the Navy out of high school & my education in Salty language began in earnest (before Ernest, my dad, an ex WW2 swabby taught me all he knew of the finer points of swearing). I spent 30 years in the Merchant Marine where Salty language is practiced as a fine art. I will tell you here & now that profanity is not indicative of a lack of intelligence or vocabulary. It is very simply a dialect spoken for the most part by men who engage in occupations where there are few or no women present. Swearing is not necessarily caused by stupidity but sometimes by environment & common practice. Common practice here forbids it so I restrain myself but when I am around my former shipmates or any of my friends (male & female) who enjoy adding a bit of spice to the conversation, I have no trouble keeping up.

Have you ever heard a 1SG when he is very unhappy with the company

I was raised in a Catholic orphanage and of course never heard much Salty Language. But when I joined the Marines in 68, I got an education. The madder the Sgt got, the saltier the language. By the time I got out of boot camp, I ended up talking like that Sgt.

Who you hang out with effects how you speak. I've had my hand slapped here once and I respect the the rules here and it will not happen again. Someone that keep breaking the rules should not blame anyone but themselves for getting remove from the forum.

BTW I ride a Harley, but I'm not a biker. I also drive a pickup truck, but I'm not a trucker.

What iis a "christian" or what is a "baptist" or what is a Pentecostal holiness?"
I think that we have Hollywood and the media are to blame for most of the bad images people have of we who ride motorcycles. when have you not seen bikers protrayed as the antagonists ? The media focuses many times on a minority of bikers as a picture of the whole. Yes there are some 1%ers who are rather nasty but overall the "majority" are actually good guys.I can attest to this because to this because I have an uncle in California who is a member of a 1%er club and another uncle here in Georgia who is a member of yet a different 1%er club. I have ridden with 1%ers and members of various clubs since I have had a bike and unless provoked pretty much minded their own business. Does this mean that in order to ride I must not respect others? If I am among those who cuss and swear of course I will also. However, if I am in the company of those who chhoose not to cuss or swear, I respect this and choose not to also. I think that this is something that alot of people are lacking. It is respect. I wish for you to respect me so I respect you.

Have you ever heard a 1SG when he is very unhappy with the company

Yes smitty I have! As a matter of fact I was raised by my grandparents and my grandfather was just that. 3 up, 3 down with a diamond in the middle. If I screwed up, ohh you know the saltiness in his mouth!!!!

First I got to say that this site is the greatest. You have your rules and they are what they are, myself I think they’re fine, matter of fact I like them. Prior to joining and since I have searched and found mechanical solutions here that have helped me and others as well.
Profanity sometimes is just a habit for some of us and I believe I fall into that category so if I ever slip up I apologize and welcome the warning.
As for what a biker is, even if you lump all the groups afore mentioned in the prior posts I have to say that I think a biker is someone who rides out of the love of the sport, the feel, the thrill, the sights, the smells, the adventure of what is around that next curve, the freedom and relaxation that riding a backwoods country road provides. I have loved motorcycles since I can remember and started ridin at ten, I have to say it never grows old and I pray that I ride, bike, or cycle which ever you prefer to call it until…….. I just cant no more.

Being a Biker to me has nothing to do with what you ride , what you wear or how you talk It's quite the contrary. It's just what you are, inside .You cant buy it at a discount leather shop or a top of the line Harley dealership you either are or not .

In defense of Salty Language. Ok, not here obviously. First let me say that I have slipped here & because this is such a great site, I have cleaned up my language in order to stay.. but! I joined the Navy out of high school & my education in Salty language began in earnest (before Ernest, my dad, an ex WW2 swabby taught me all he knew of the finer points of swearing). I spent 30 years in the Merchant Marine where Salty language is practiced as a fine art. I will tell you here & now that profanity is not indicative of a lack of intelligence or vocabulary. It is very simply a dialect spoken for the most part by men who engage in occupations where there are few or no women present. Swearing is not necessarily caused by stupidity but sometimes by environment & common practice. Common practice here forbids it so I restrain myself but when I am around my former shipmates or any of my friends (male & female) who enjoy adding a bit of spice to the conversation, I have no trouble keeping up.
Good post!
I have always thought that a biker was someone who rode a bike...:coffee

Back