free website stats program What is a "biker" | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a "biker"

Great post mroleg.
What I can't figure out is why only some (most) people understand this. Is it that the ones that don't understand it can't read or is it that they don't care?

It's stated as clear as day now when they join about the language on the application to join the forum but they all carry on like nobody told them a thing about it and we're just singling them out to pick on them like the last one today that lost his membership.:yeahright

Great post mroleg.
What I can't figure out is why only some (most) people understand this. Is it that the ones that don't understand it can't read or is it that they don't care?

It's stated as clear as day now when they join about the language on the application to join the forum but they all carry on like nobody told them a thing about it and we're just singling them out to pick on them like the last one today that lost his membership.:yeahright

Glider, I know how this bothers you and how you take it to heart. A long time ago I was beat down by a few so called bikers because I would not back down from them. I would show them no fear because my belief in my morals was stronger than any fear of them.One on one I am sure that the outcome would have been different but like I said that happened along time ago. My point is that Yes I ride a Harley,And if that makes me a biker In someones eyes then yes I am. I am also a God fearing, law abiding,caring/loving respectful American vet who was raised to treat others as you wish to be treated.The folks that are unable to follow the rules have what I call little man syndrome.The foul language is their way of being a tough guy.On the computer or in a group these are the idiots that give riding a scoot a black eye.We all here on the forum are better off without them and are lucky to have someone like you and the others to keep them out.I am sorry that you even have to waste your time with these people but alas just as there are good there are bad! Keep up the great work!

Very interesting slant on things sharpscuba. I think you are on to something with the little man syndrome. I've seen that on another forum where the two big mouths that caused the problems were both about 5 feet tall and to listen to them you would think they were 8 feet tall and about 350 lbs but they were still big mouths trying to be a big person on the computer. You may have hit it square on the head.:s

Basically I don't wish to see this forum go the way of some others after the work it takes to build up a good data base and great members and that's why the napoleons get the toss here. :D

Glider,

I'm wondering if you've detected any correlation between age and the lack of understanding the instructions or between age and not caring.

I was brought up to believe that swearing indicated a lack of education. By the time my boys had reached their twenties, and had both been in the service, their language was much rougher than mine was at their age. When I pointed it out to them I was told "they're just words it doesn't mean anything else". As they've gotten older (thirties now) their language has cleaned up quite a bit. I hope it's because of my example.

Personally, I save my cussing for when I need it. You know, when a wrench slips and you bust a knuckle or some such thing.

On the issue of describing yourself as a biker .. I think of myself as a motorcycle rider, not a biker.

I totally approve of the rules for this program. Instead of using a cuss word short cut, the writer has to think about what he is really trying to say. I think that it sets an example. You can communicate without swearing.

I have very similar views with Smitty. I as well don't drink, don't do drugs. Don't have any tattoos or other body augmentations. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that it is just not my thing.
I am married to an amazing woman, have 2 beautiful little girls and love all three of them to death.
Although, it took me 38 years to get my Harley, I cherish every moment of it. I absolutely love riding and ride even in winter no matter how cold it is. As long as it is not raining or snowing - I am riding. Alone or with friends - I am riding. I love the feeling, I love the fellowship, I never pass an opportunity to salute a fellow rider and I do not discriminate against other bikes whether it is a street bike or a vespa. Am I a "biker"? No idea. When people ask me I tell them I am a motorcyclist. Let me be perfectly straight here, I work in construction and not a stranger to a strong word or two. Have no problem with it either. What I do have a problem with is people having need to parade profanity in online public forum where the rules state clear as day "No foul language allowed". How hard is it to follow a simple rule?

Great post oleg!! :s

I Consider myself a biker. Like to get on my bike and just go. No saddlebags, no duffle bags, or anything else strapped on the back. Sometimes take off and don't get back home for days. And yes I do use profanity, Just not here or at my grandmothers.

I curse a bit at times myself,but this place is kind of my solace from the outside. At work I listen to the welders and it digusts me,well not anymore because I have moved myself into a different bay.:) But I will say most of the bikers that come in to buy our products do not curse much. What really amazes me is the business men that come in their Caddilacs and 3 piece suits,get out of the car and introduce themselves in a sentence peppered with 4 letter words:(

Back