free website stats program What I have learned OR how I got to like my HD | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What I have learned OR how I got to like my HD

Enjoy your new ride and there is nothing wrong with being 58.... I think I know someone REALLY close that is the same.
:bigsmiley28:

Hey ..bought my first Bike at 58 myself...Just a plain old Road King that I've had a blast customizing...lol...Had retired, and had no clue what to do...lol Seems my fishing and Golfing buddy's were a ways from retiring..Sooooo..the wife and I went to a Vietnam Vet reunion down in Texas...Was waiting for a few the the fellows to show up, and low and behold they came riding up on Black Harleys...Dang ! I thought it looked pretty darn cool...so after returning to Missouri and waitin bout a month I suggested to my wife bout buying a Harley...of course she questioned my sanity ...Like " Are you ( something...something") crazy?...Since then: that was in 2004..We have put 50,000 plus on her...her meaning the bike of course....Been to Rolling Thunder...to other reunions in California...the mountains and the plains ..Man its a "RUSH"..sooo just enjoy it as much as ya can...and BTW "Welcome Home"...was in 63-67..."In Country 65-66 with "D" 1/9...was first known as the Zippo Battalion and later "The Walking Dead"...long storys...lol

"What I have learned OR how I got to like my HD". Well, after 2 months of riding my 2000 Sporty I learned:

You will never completely eliminate carb farts.
The gearbox makes a little noise, it's normal.
The vibration will cause your throttle hand to go numb after a few hours riding.
The tires will stick to the pavement better than you think.
I can easily outrun a Honda 750 Shadow in a drag race.
It's normal for the front brake to make a little burring sound when used.
That damn, I think it really does get 45 MPG.
The wind is pretty strong at 90 MPH.
That motorcyclists actually wave at each other on the road.
That adjustment and lubrication of the throttle cables is important.
That windshields and bags have a practical purpose.
To use the front brake more often, and practice panic stops.
That I can have a bad day at work and then ride the Sporty for 30 minutes and be in a good mood again.:rider
And that I really like this bike, glad I have it.

I too just bought a new Fat Bob. It's been 30 years. My first Harley, had a Honda 750 in 1971 and 650 Bonneville Shaker. I'm 55 and kids just left, so the wife said, you're &$** crazy. I said, "I know". My ride home from the dealer brought back sooooooooo many memories. I hope to do most of the repairs myself and hopefully keep her. It's almost ready for the 1000 mile checkup.

"What I have learned OR how I got to like my HD". Well, after 2 months of riding my 2000 Sporty I learned:

You will never completely eliminate carb farts.
The gearbox makes a little noise, it's normal.
The vibration will cause your throttle hand to go numb after a few hours riding.
The tires will stick to the pavement better than you think.
I can easily outrun a Honda 750 Shadow in a drag race.
It's normal for the front brake to make a little burring sound when used.
That damn, I think it really does get 45 MPG.
The wind is pretty strong at 90 MPH.
That motorcyclists actually wave at each other on the road.
That adjustment and lubrication of the throttle cables is important.
That windshields and bags have a practical purpose.
To use the front brake more often, and practice panic stops.
That I can have a bad day at work and then ride the Sporty for 30 minutes and be in a good mood again.:rider
And that I really like this bike, glad I have it.

You know your RIGHT!
I had forgotten most of your findings especially when you get a HD with Injection.
Good Job.:D

hey i agree paladin with all your obsevation i have a 97 sportster and noticed the same things expecally the brakes noise took it in when i first got it for that noise:D

I think it's a "Tough Love" concept from the MoCo. They make them this way on purpose so that we have to work out the little things and bond and become one with the bike. :p

Glad you got it the way you want it. Life is good now

That’s it, must be an unadvertised feature to make you one with the bike:)

Back