free website stats program What happens if a stage 1 is done without a dyno? | Harley Davidson Forums

What happens if a stage 1 is done without a dyno?

Justmac1

Hi All, I'm new to the forum but I just bought my 3rd Ultra, an 09 stock bike.

There doing the stage one and I'm leaving on a 2000 mile trip Monday. The dealer said they can't put a canned map in the 09. So what's can I expect from the bike with a stage one kit and no dyno or no new map. It's still going to be reading stock.
I'm concerned with damaging the engine, if it will be OK I'll get the Dyno when I get back in a week.
Thanks Mac

I do not know what your dealer is talking about. I have an 09 Ultra and they tried to sell me the download 6 months ago. I went with the TFI, but your dealer is wrong about no download available. Find another dealer.

erm ???? erm ????........................another dealer fib, the 09's can be canned i know i got 2 of em.
If they use the SERT (loads of money) the canned maps it comes with are very good.
Now the Touring range in 09 are capable of running just Slipon pipes with out any alteration to the ECM, the trouble starts when you swap out the air cleaner - it needs either a HD stage1 download or at the very least a fueler - either PCV or a TFI.
to say they cannot put a canned map in it is complete and utter rubbish, ask them to get the digital tech out and down load the canned map for stage 1 on a 2009 touring - the SE tuner comes with at least 15 different maps fro the 09 glides

They are installing a SE tuner as part of the stage one. They said it MIGHT run a little lean is all Getting another dealer is great but part of the sales price included a dyno and stage one so I want what I payed for. My trouble is I want to ride the bike and they don't seem to have enough time to do it right.
What is the digital tech? and do they have to put it on the dyno to use it?

And thanks for the info guys

if they are installing the SERT - the little black box that locks to your bike and is useless on any other machine, if they down load the map for that it will not be that lean infact the SE maps on the CD for the SERT are quite close to perfect adn only really need a few tweaks.
if they are installing this then yes dyno is needed to tweak to perfect but the bike will run fine with the download thru the SERT.
digital tech is an tool HD dealers have for down loading and reading the ECM

So since I won't be getting the dyno just a download through the SERT it shouldn't take long?

I want to insist they download a canned map but I'm leading a few driends from surrounding states on a great weeks ride and I can't wait for the dealer (edit) that it will take an extra day to do a down load. In other words I need my powder dry and sound like I know what I'm talking about tomorrow.

BTW--- The stage one is a SERT and AC and Rhinehart slip ons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,
They have already allocated the time to put the ac sert and pipes on but started handing me the (edit) when I said just throw a canned map in till I came back from my trip.

So If I'm understanding right they should be able to plug a digital tech in and choose one of 15 canned download till I get back and they can tweak it, AND it should only take a few extra minutes to do the canned download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Hobbit,

Is a dyno absolutley needed with sert if you are just street riding and what is the difference between a sert and down loading a map that brings it back to stock settings that I read about all the time?

the SERT allows 3 tuning modes
1 download canned map and ride
2 download canned map and ride + data log and adjust as per the instructions
3 download canned map and DYNO then Ride - reccommended

the SERT is not the down load used for the legal stage1 the SERT has a disclaimer that says NOT FOR ROAD USE on the software :D

What about the "no download" mode? There are no canned maps for 95", 10:1 CR, Fatcat, TW54 cams and ported heads, or any number of displacement and performance configurations. It can take several hours and 50-60 pulls to dial in a performance configuration. The tuner earns his money and has to know what he is doing.

I know this doesn't apply to a Stage I upgrade but the SERT is a very good tuning device, just not real user friendly for high performance configurations. The TTS Mastertune is as good or better and much more user friendly.

It never ceases to amaze me what a pantload some of these dealers try to unload on unsuspecting riders who buy new bikes. For most, the best ammunition to defend yourself from this type of behavior is education. Read up on your bike before taking it in for service. Read the manual and if you have the time and inclination, buy a service manual for your specific bike. You will pay for the manual the first time you have to have something done at the dealers shop. For those of us who don't want to do maintenance on your ride, what can anyone say? You pay.
$400.00 for an oil change and a few minutes spent tightening up fasteners is a big price to pay for convenience. But, we live in a free market, so anything goes.

Back