free website stats program what gas to burn | Harley Davidson Forums

what gas to burn

jamesearl

I see on some threads people are using different octane gas.I have always used premium,but wouldn't mind saving some dough.It didn't used to be much difference cost wise,but now I see regular for around 2.60 a gal.,and premium well over 3.00.Will it hurt the bike? Is the mid grade better? I've paid as much as 4.99 for premium a while back,so I'm pretty happy it's less than 3.50 now.But 2.60 is tempting.

It's best to use what you're manuel recommends. Mine say's to use 91 octane, I tried 89 1 time and it didn't like it, pinged like crazy. Mine isn't stock so a completely stock engine may tolerate a lower grade. JMHO.

I almost always use mid-grade gas in my Electra Glide. MPG is as good or better than premium and no knocks, pings or other problems. I run a tank of premium thru every now and then just because of the additives.

Anything less than premium will cause pinging in newer Harley's.Try running regular for a tank.You will see for Yourself.

I see on some threads people are using different octane gas.I have always used premium,but wouldn't mind saving some dough.It didn't used to be much difference cost wise,but now I see regular for around 2.60 a gal.,and premium well over 3.00.Will it hurt the bike? Is the mid grade better? I've paid as much as 4.99 for premium a while back,so I'm pretty happy it's less than 3.50 now.But 2.60 is tempting.

I have a friend (cheapskate) who always tells me I'm "wasting" money by buying premium.
Owners manual for both '02 Sportster and '07 Ultra tell me to use premium.
Depending on the station, sometimes I can't get premium and had to settle for either 87 or 89 octane.
Never could tell any difference but I still go for premium anyway.

Happens to be a few stations here that have single hose premium (no alcohol) gas so we try to get gas at those stations.
We also comment to the cashier how we appreciate the singe hose and why we fill up there.

Your .40 difference a gallon wouldn't bother me. You can only put so much in the tank. Not going to ring up a huge difference.

If I took a trip to the coast (2,000 miles) and if I got 40 MPG, I'd use about 50 gallons of gas.
50 gallons X .40 extra a gallon for premium is only going to add $20.00 to the gas bill for the trip.
(You'll pay more for your Starbucks cup of coffee on the trip.)
I like my engine to be happy so I run premium.

Plus I like the extra power from premium in the mountains.

My trike and Streetbob ran fine on 89 non alcohol gas

Im riding a dinosaur compared to you guy's but I burn 90 octane non-ethanol around home. But when I'm out on the road its high test for me.

Not going to get in the weeds on this one but run the lowest grade of fuel you can run without experiencing detonation. Mileage should improve a bit, the fuel mixture will burn faster and more efficiently. Try a tank of 89 octane and if she doesn't ping, try a tank of 87.

I run 89 and 87 in my built all bore 107 and make 124TQ/110HP on both but CCP is below 190psi. The state of tune of the motor has a lot to do with what fuel one can burn. There is article after article by guys much smarter than me that will tell you the same thing. I do run 93 octane in July and August to mitigate against potential for detonation; it gets pretty hot in south Texas during those months so I don't take any chances.:s

I've always run 91 minimum, unless I can't find it. I do however find my bike loves 93 no ethanol, but it is pricey.
Try what others have suggested, one tank shouldn't hurt

Your ride you decide but at a minimum I'd run what Harley recommends for your scoot. There's nothing in it for Harley to make money off from by recommending a certain octane level for a particularly engine.

I'm thinking their engineers have researched and tested what they believe is the octane level needed to run these engines properly but who knows, maybe they get a kick back from the petroleum industry.

Back