free website stats program What fluids to run? | Harley Davidson Forums

What fluids to run?

Jellymule79

Ok... Recently purchased an 04 FLHTC.
It has stage 2, V&H true duals, and an Ultima 6 speed transmission.
The previous owner was running Amsoil 20w/ 50 full synthetic in crankcase, tranny, and primary. 4th and 6th gear whine.
I'm looking for suggestions on what oils to run. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic by any means, but to me it just doesn't seem right to run the same fluid for all the components. Suggestions please....!

Oil is a religion to some, I like Redline
71gxaiy8KQL._SL1500_.jpg

Oil is a religion to some, I like Redline"
Good one Jack! :) Yes, Redline is Great from what I've read/heard.

I have a '08 SG with 90,000+ miles: Have always run Motul 7100 in the engine, Spectro Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil in the tranny (although I do have Baker DD7 that was installed at 43,000 miles) and HD Formula+ in the Primary. This seems to be the winning formula for my bike. Mz Bling ('06 Sporty Custom 80,000+ miles) run Motul 7100 in the engine and HD Formula+ in the primary/tranny hole and is the winning formula for her bike.

Congratulations on your new ride Jellymule.

My recommendations and what I run in my bikes are as follows:

Crankcase: full synthetic VTwin 20W50 engine oil
Tranny: full synthetic 75/140 transmission lubricant (75/90 for Northern climes that do not see high air temps)
Primary: fit-for-purpose wet clutch chaincase fluid (like HD Formula + or Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil)

You can check out the engine oil poll here:
http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/engine-oil-poll.1756/

This is the section of the site with lots of stuff on lubricants:
http://www.hdtimeline.com/forums/oil.24/

Cheers,

TQ

Nothing wrong with the Amsoil in the motor. Run the gear lube of your choice in the tranny (another Redline Shockproof fan). There are "special" chain case lubes but I have never used one so I can't say they are any better than a conventional 20W50 or 20W40 which I have always used with no issues.

My '07 Ultra has the following oils, all produced by Spectro.
6-speed
Primary
20W50 engine.

Been working for me for years.

I prefer to use the oils that state, engine, primary or tranny.
You have to use something.

Some say they like the same oil for all the three holes, in case they have to add.
Unless there is a new pool of oil under the bike, you can't tell if losing tranny or primary oil.
Engine oil is different as that is easily checked.
Never much difference in the price of the oils anyway.

What ever floats your boat. Just do not run cheap stuff and be sure to run what belongs in 3 different holes.

Take a look at the engine, tranny and primary polls and see what others are using and why.
I run Mobil 1 20/50 in engine, Redline shockproof in the tranny and Formula + in the primary and my scoot seems to like all 3.

Good one Jack! :) Yes, Redline is Great from what I've read/heard.

I have a '08 SG with 90,000+ miles: Have always run Motul 7100 in the engine, Spectro Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil in the tranny (although I do have Baker DD7 that was installed at 43,000 miles) and HD Formula+ in the Primary. This seems to be the winning formula for my bike. Mz Bling ('06 Sporty Custom 80,000+ miles) run Motul 7100 in the engine and HD Formula+ in the primary/tranny hole and is the winning formula for her bike.

Congratulations on your new ride Jellymule.
Thanks man, i am absolutely in love with this motorcycle....! Just trying to take the best care I can of her.

The best thing for me and my new to me cycle is this forum and folks like you guys who are more than willing to lend a helping suggestion. I appreciate and thank you for your time and input!!!

Back