free website stats program What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case? | Harley Davidson Forums

What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case?

bobalu

I know its a "blend", not a full synthetic. But I've noticed that it really seems to get a bad rap here. Aside from it being a blend, marketed by Harley, made by Citgo, and (inappropriately) used in the primary and transmission by HD a while back, what is technically wrong with it as a motor oil?

Does it have inferior additives? Poor lubricating properties? Breaks down in viscosity too soon compared to competitor blends? I'm really just interested in the technical info.

Just looking for some feedback based on the merits of it's performance as a motor oil. :bigsmiley30:

It puts $$ in Hugo Chavez pocket that's the all I need to know about it or any other Citgo product.... I will leave it on the shelf...

I cracked open my HD catalog and it claims to be a full synthetic. Plus the bottle show full synthetic on the label. Why would they post that if its a blend? Maybe Ill be changing to Mobile 1 for my next service.

I stand corrected on the label. The label only say's synthetic. But the add in the book states full synthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, they are allowed to call these blends "synthetics". But they are not a FULL synthetic. FULL synthetics are Group 4 lubricants made from PAO bases. Blends are Group 3 lubricants that are hydroisomerized dino bases and additives. If you are interested, check this out:

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Good info. How can I tell if other brands are group 5 or 4? Is it on the label? Is Moblie 1 group 5? Thanks for the link it helped me understand.:D

With syn3 I got fuzz on the drain magnet with Mobil 1 I get none or vary little. That tells me Mobil 1 is doing a better job than Syn3. Just my 2 cents worth.

I just love harley motorcycles so it upsets me that they would make it sound that their oil is the only oil that can be used. You would figure they would be more intrested in backing a product that would help your bike instead of looking for the bottom dollar. I looked up liberty harley in new jersey and it made it sound like syn 3 is a group 4 lube making it a full synthetic. Luckily some good people on here made it clear its not. Thanks guys for the info.:D

Back