free website stats program What else do I need? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What else do I need?

A digital air pressure gauge. Road Gear makes a good one. Several types for different applications. One for the bike, one for the house/garage, etc. Don't know how to post a link but you can find them on any search engine. Cost about 30 bucks and up.

Actually got on my buddy's RK yesterday for a bit in the parking lot. It is amazing how fast it comes back. Trying not to overthink everything. Once I got used to where the controls were and how they caught etc, I was pretty comfortable.

That was in the parking lot. Traffic has always been of concern to me and I learned to ride by leaving yourself an out. I do that whether I am in a cage or on 2 wheels.

Significant parking lot time, except to get gas, is anticipated.

Insurance - check
Rain gear - check
Service manual - great idea, will order one
Pledge - streak free already in the garage for the cage

Kzoo, sounds like you have most things covered. Was your bike "winterized" and now you are taking it out of hibernation? If so the Stabil in the fuel tank, battery tender attached to keep the battery up to snuff, the fuel turned off (fuel petcock), so carburetor/needle does not allow fuel leakdown to flood engine combustion chamber/engine, etc. de-winterize process and your done. If EFI, equipped the winterize/de-winterize process is simplified, but take a look in the Self Help section for details based on your storage criteria you used.:s

Install your engine guard, it will save your pride when least expected, it saved mine twice after a long ride then going and moving around parking lot at slower speed (stay away from front brake) ;0)

Lots of good advice given. I'll make a vote for a riders couse if it's been awhile and ditto for the sunbloc, I usually get fried on my first couple of rides of the season.

Install your engine guard, it will save your pride when least expected, it saved mine twice after a long ride then going and moving around parking lot at slower speed (stay away from front brake) ;0)

Glad to hear Iam not the only 1 who has done the front brake bike dump when parking

Wow, did you make a BIG mistake asking that on this forum. We're more than happy to help you spend all your money!

As Ishmael pointed out, the absolute number one priority for you should be to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) or one of the Rider's Edge courses taught at most HD dealerships.

Sounds like you've got the basics covered for general riding.

Here's some other thoughts:

1. Insurance
2. Cover if it's to be stored outside
3. Chaps, Draggin' Jeans, or some other type of riding pants
4. Rain gear in case you get stuck riding in the rain
5. Motorcycle specific luggage if you're going somewhere overnight
6. HD Service Manual for your bike if you plan on doing ANY mechanical stuff to your bike yourself
7. Lots of Pledge!!!

Good list, I like it.

Add:
Sun Glasses
Clear glasses for night
I like the Bakliva (spelling don't know) to cover my face and neck
I have the HD soft lowers for the cold days
Bought chaps last year also (Leather store in Sturgis, MI (have them fitted)

You will find your saddle bags are full soon.

Back