free website stats program What else do I need? | Harley Davidson Forums

What else do I need?

kzoo

Banned
Getting ready to ride again after a long break. Here is what I have, what else should I consider?

Bike - 04 Heritage Classic
Helmet - Scorpion EXO-100 (brand new, gave $80 for it)
Boots - HD El Paso ( new! gave 35 for em)
Jacket and gloves - Ordered from Leatherup.
Engine Guard - Received but not installed.
Oil Changed, Air cleaner changed, Bike inspected by local HD Dealer.

What else besides decent weather?

Wow, did you make a BIG mistake asking that on this forum. We're more than happy to help you spend all your money!

As Ishmael pointed out, the absolute number one priority for you should be to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) or one of the Rider's Edge courses taught at most HD dealerships.

Sounds like you've got the basics covered for general riding.

Here's some other thoughts:

1. Insurance
2. Cover if it's to be stored outside
3. Chaps, Draggin' Jeans, or some other type of riding pants
4. Rain gear in case you get stuck riding in the rain
5. Motorcycle specific luggage if you're going somewhere overnight
6. HD Service Manual for your bike if you plan on doing ANY mechanical stuff to your bike yourself
7. Lots of Pledge!!!

If it has been a while, I second the rec above to take the Riders' Course. No use making a mistake on your brand new baby.

TQ

Planning on significant parking lot time. Saw a bunch of riders in the lot yesterday.
WAP.gif

Actually got on my buddy's RK yesterday for a bit in the parking lot. It is amazing how fast it comes back. Trying not to overthink everything. Once I got used to where the controls were and how they caught etc, I was pretty comfortable.

That was in the parking lot. Traffic has always been of concern to me and I learned to ride by leaving yourself an out. I do that whether I am in a cage or on 2 wheels.

Significant parking lot time, except to get gas, is anticipated.

Insurance - check
Rain gear - check
Service manual - great idea, will order one
Pledge - streak free already in the garage for the cage

Plug in jacket liner,,,MMMM goood! I try to never think I have it all figured out...As soon as I do , something jumps in front of me..Car, Deer, Dog, stop sign. ect ect ect. be ware of slow speed on side hills... realy hard to get a foot down on the low side.

Back