free website stats program What does your HD cost you? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What does your HD cost you?

I haven't done all the math yet, that's one of those "roundtwoit" kind of things. It feels like I'm spending a FORTUNE in gas for the bike.

In the Truck, I might spend $50 to $60 a week. That's to and from work for 5 days and 2 days goofing off, when it's too cold for me to ride.

Now that the warmer weather is here I've been riding the bike to and from work. BUT!, on my weekend I'll ride for much longer and much farther than the truck. I'll have to fill the bike tank a few times a week. At current gas prices that's $20 per tank. It's common to fill the bike at least 3 times per 7 days.

Don't misunderstand, I rather be on the bike. As far as the cost goes...I really don't care.

Now the weekend is coming up for me...Where did I put those maps...?

I hear ya there Ferrous. I was off this weekend and went riding both days to N.H. from Mass. I easily spend my weekly allowance when I go for these thoroughly enjoyable weekend rides with friends!! I remember what a long, snowy Winter it has been here in the Northeast and I am makin' up for it every chance I get!!:p

There was a post similar to this back in the spring. Trying to see if anyone out there justifies HD ownership in gas savings. Not many said they could because of the highg cost ow ownership. I save about 10 bucks a day riding to work vs taking the car (my commute is 68 miles ONE WAY). Averaging about 3 - 4 commutes on the bike is about $160 a month in fuel saving.....but I spend all of that back on maintenace.....tires and service. I suppose the fuel savings takes the edge off of ownership but at least I have my bike on the weekends for the cruising!!!!!!

There was a post similar to this back in the spring. Trying to see if anyone out there justifies HD ownership in gas savings. Not many said they could because of the highg cost ow ownership. I save about 10 bucks a day riding to work vs taking the car (my commute is 68 miles ONE WAY). Averaging about 3 - 4 commutes on the bike is about $160 a month in fuel saving.....but I spend all of that back on maintenace.....tires and service. I suppose the fuel savings takes the edge off of ownership but at least I have my bike on the weekends for the cruising!!!!!!

But I bet you maintain your car too. It could be argued that riding the bike on some days will spread out the maintenance interval of the car, therefore, breaking down the costs to at least make it a wash......no more to own the bike, no less because of the extra maintenance intervals on the car. :D

That is just for someone who wants to justify owning their bike. :s

I would not think that part of purchasing a Harley is to save gas. Especially the big bikes..... You do not see to many gas savings cars with Harley stickers on them like you do those pickup trucks.

Plenty.....but I still wouldn't do without it. I save a little doing my own maintenance and having everything paid for makes it alot easier. I don't count the trips as expenses, but as pshyco-therapy like someone stated earlier.

About $2500/yr with gas, insurance, maint and add-ons. I couldn't live without my H-D so I can justify it.
WAP.gif

I would not think that part of purchasing a Harley is to save gas. Especially the big bikes..... You do not see to many gas savings cars with Harley stickers on them like you do those pickup trucks.

Good point. It's the over sized, fuel wasting trucks that I always see the HD stickers on. Although I think I might be an exception. I have a "Shift Happens. HD Motorcycles" on my Honda CRV. ( I inherited it from my wife, okay?) :)

I have a HD decal on my Subaru! OK......let me have it!

Back