free website stats program what do i torque my exhaust bolts to?? | Harley Davidson Forums

what do i torque my exhaust bolts to??

ron1978

i ordered new torque cones for my drag pipes, , was wondering do i torque the exhaust bolts to specsand what are specs on them?? or just tighten snug, they look hard to get a torque wrench on,
and can i run baffles with the cones installed??

I generally use the "two finger" rule, if you can put the index and middle finger over the fastener to be tightened, you will usually have enough room to install and tighten the fastener from above. If not, you will have to use a torque extension and a lettle math to measure offset length and how much to decrease the torque (trying to be as close to fastener as possible). You may have to remove the heat shields in order to access the bolts on all the flanges, and use antiseize compound, all that heat and corrosion will make things tough the next time. You will probably need to look in the service manual, as I do not believe the owners manual covers the torque value (but check it, sometimes you'll be lucky).

i put the torque cones in , but i'm not getting full nut with threads, about 3/4 of the nut is all and the pipes don't leak and there tight, it just bothers me though, any ideas?
i put new exhaust gaskets also

Only two solutions as I see it, first is remove the cones and second is longer studs. You should be able to remove the studs by double nutting them.

Sometimes the replacement Gaskets at the exhaust port are a little thicker than the factory ones. You could replace your studs in the heads with longer ones, but if you feel like it's tight, I believe I'd let that Dog lay... Sometimes changing Head studs are a real pain, and other more serious problems can arise... IE broken studs that don't want to release because of the extreme heat right out of the cylinder head, they seem to weld in place... Your decision. Good Luck.

i ran it pretty hard for a little while brought it back home and put it infront of a 4' fan on high, after about 1 hour i put socket back on and they were little loose , i got about 3/4 more on each one, no leaks and yes stock one looked thinner than these thicker new ones,
2 gaskets were $13.50 at local hd shop if anywanted to know

Back