free website stats program What came first? SOA or the "Club" style bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

What came first? SOA or the "Club" style bike?

ThunderRogue

So here's the question: Did the TV show SOA start that particular Dyna style bike, or was that style copied for the series? And the "cuts" and helmets too for that matter. There's been so many people wearing SOA merchandise and even claiming to be actual members it's crazy. Yes! Saw one!

I know the show creator worked with some consultants to create the bikes for the show and also the look for each of the "clubs". Such as the Mayan club for example.

So the show has it's own "style" but, inspired by real clubs and their rides.

I know Kurt Sutter rides fairly regular in his personal life.

Also, you see some changes from season to season. For example, Bobby changes from a FB to Street Glide for time to time.

When I first started watching the series the 1st thing I picked out was the white sneakers Jax wore. Nobody I knew wore those! At rallies most of the older, more experienced riders would swap out their riding boots for walking shoes. Sneakers included. But not bright white! How'd he keep them so white? I later read somewhere it was a SoCal biker thing. And I thought the Islanders in Hawaii were crazy for riding with flip flops!

When I first started watching the series the 1st thing I picked out was the white sneakers Jax wore. Nobody I knew wore those! At rallies most of the older, more experienced riders would swap out their riding boots for walking shoes. Sneakers included. But not bright white! How'd he keep them so white? I later read somewhere it was a SoCal biker thing. And I thought the Islanders in Hawaii were crazy for riding with flip flops!
That has been a style for some 1% clubs in the west for yrs. Seen some HA's and other club member wearing those. The 1% clubs aren't the ones that conform to any style unless its their own idea . Been seeing that for a lot of years now out here in the southwest.

What i understand is that Sutter and his film crew went to the major clubs and asked what they could get away with with having this program. 1 of them is a well known HA President "Sonny" was giving advice and some of the cast members were either members of actual clubs. If you look up their names you can see who they are. Back in the day a lot of the clubs used the smaller bikes cause they were faster and easy to make faster. Now days you see a lot of baggers in clubs more then the old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh you mean "Uncle Ralph", as I refer to him. Met him a few times, had photos taken with him, and even have an autographed book of his. Last I saw he's riding Spock's bike. But, yeah the 1% 'er clubs of today are sure different than the ones from the '50s, '60s, and '70s that I remember. Today it's more about being a "thug" then just wanting to be left alone and not be "hassled by The Man".

Back