What Bike To Get

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by sdsocal87, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdsocal87

sdsocal87 Banned

I started riding on a yamaha 1100 virago, and very soon knew I wanted a Harley... I just dont know what to get. I like softail bikes...large..and something that looks classic...any suggestions

2. Sheepdogmarine

Sheepdogmarine Active Member

Welcome!

Just find a friendly dealer and start checking out all of the bikes, sitting on them and asking questions. All of the softails sit a little different so one may suit you better.

You can also rent them at some dealerships which may give you a day or so to check them out.

I settled on a used Fatboy and I love it.

Good Luck!

3. buddybr

buddybr Active Member

I would also try a Road King. Classic looks and though I've never ridden a softtail, from what I've read the touring bikes are a more comfortable ride.
    :USA

4. Bait

Bait Active Member

Fat Boy. Great ride, handles well. I went to one of the open houses and rode several before I decided.

5. Skratch

Skratch Active Member

Virago 1100...good bike. Rode a 95' for years until I stepped up and bought a HD.

For a softail I'm all about the Heritage. There might be some better riding bikes out there but for me there is no better classic looking bike in the HD line.

6. jonny oz

jonny oz Member

if you are considering a used bike, the softail springer classic is a great looking bike too.

7. TNfatboy

TNfatboy Member

i find the fatboy to be very comfortable that of course is why i have one i think they are so comfortable for me because it is the perfect size it is big enough to know its there but it handles and turns very excellent for a big cruiser. i have never rode a heritage but i have sit on them and it was comfortable. i did alot of reading:newsmile020: before i bought mine i would suggest the same to anyone else

8. sdsocal87

sdsocal87 Banned

Hey thanks alot I test drove the fatboy and heratige...i fell for the heratige ill be getting it soon...ill still look around before i buy though thanks

9. arkie

arkie Member

telling you what bike to get is like telling you what food to eat .. i don't know you and everybody has their own tastes in food and bikes. BUT, I may have been in your shoes recently. I had a Kawaski Vulcan and spent money to add a wind shield, bags (after relocating the turn signals!), back rest, Corbin seat, and luggage rack. I enjoyed it for over 25,000 miles but it was too cramped for me and my wife to ride together. So, simply to please my wife ;-) I, I mean we, chose a Heritage. It already had all the extras except a luggage rack (?) but otherwise it was set up and ready to go just like I wanted. It was the same look and style I was already used to but with more room and more comfort. FYI - I did later have to add a wider passenger seat, but otherwise we've been very happy.

Face it, buying a HD is an emotional purchase really, anyway. Might as well get the tried and true classic look!

Compared to other bikes it's like driving a dump truck, but it is comfortable and stable with plenty of power to haul 2 folks and plenty of luggage anywhere.

10. hogwillis

hogwillis Member

the fatboy is hard to pass,with its looks, style and street cred. you wont be disapointed.
    i`v moved to an 09 road king but will never forget the fat boys i had (all 3 of them)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.