What are these code that everyone keeps mentioning

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by sincityharley, Sep 19, 2010.

1. sincityharley

sincityharley Member

I keep hearing about troubleshooting codes for harleys. Are these codes something that I can find myself? How do i go about locating these codes?

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

With the advent of EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) there was a need to improve troubleshooting this complex system...and expand on the ECM (Electronic Control Micro-Processor Module), using a more complete instruction set and subsequent codes to assist troubleshooting. Don't know if it applies to your 2002 Heritage, but you may want to find out if your speedometer can initiate this procedure...

09-08-07 DTC Codes - Harley Davidson Community

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Sorry for the error regarding link for retrieving codes on earlier HD models, the instruction set was more limited, on the earlier models. Like Smitty says, some of the codes only give symptoms and are somewhat cryptic like XXXX "out of range" may mean area of trouble cannot be read because no reading is available (possibly an open wire or sensor being monitored).

So as Smitty & TQ provided you with some very good info...do be careful when accessing connector(s) and not short or ground out pins...! You may also be wondering why there is no info in your HD Service Manual...this is because the HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual is a separate book for...you guessed it, the princely sum of $65 MSRP. Just another tool in your troubleshooting toolbox...:s

5. lowrider1963

lowrider1963 Active Member

With the ability to check the codes without any special reader, is there any reason to check the codes (any specific) if bike appears to be running good. Preventative maintenance?

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

On a 2010,,, absolutely. There are current & historical codes. An issue that was detected "at one time" but is not present with this key cycle is a historical code which is something you want to keep an eye on.

7. lowrider1963

Hoople
    Are there specific codes to keep an eye on for any possible trouble (2010 FXDC)?

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

If I was throttle by wire I would be concerned for any codes such as P2138, P2128, P2127, P2123, P2122, etc. Any codes that have to do with miss- communication from the throttle body servo motor to the twist grip would be my #1 concern. The rest of the codes are important but not like the TBW ones are.

But that is just my opinion. I am sure some will say "limp mode" will kick in if something goes wrong. For those that believe that, all I can say is "Ok"..

9. lowrider1963

I have seen links for the codes for 07 and earlier. Are the codes for the 07 the same for the 2010?

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed