free website stats program What Are The...... | Harley Davidson Forums

What Are The......

Soupy1957

"What are the" main differences between a "Street Glide" and a "Road Glide?" I've never really looked into it.

Trim packages? Structural differences?

Street glides are lowered, looks more like the electra glide, but with a lower, cleaner look...if that makes any sense. Road glides, if I remember correctly, (it's been winter for a long time here in Ohio) have the fairing attached to the bars. They used to be referred to as a 'shark nose' I think. But essentially, the street glide fairings look like the electra glide, and don't turn with the bars, the road glide fairing is distinctly different, and will turn with the bars.

Joy got it backwards. Electra and Street Glides are called Batwing fairings, and it is attached to and turns with the handlebars. Road Glides are called Shark Nose, and the fairing is frame mounted and always points straight ahead. The frames are the same, but there's a lot of misc. differences, suspension, trim etc. Many (not me) think the Road Glides are the better long distance bike.

My_Bagger.jpg
Streetglide, Electra Glide and Ultra Classic all share the batwing fairing which turns with the bars, single 7" diameter headlight. Radio and gauges are mounted on the inside of the batwing.The Road Glide has the shark nose with dual headlights aprox 5"'s in diameter. The small gauges are attached to the fixed fairing and the speedo and tach are handlebar mounted. When it comes to the frames, they're all the same for a given year period. Even the Road King without a fairing shares the same frame. Parts are easily interchanged between the models within the same year group...for example 97-07 and 08-14. The Street Glide employs 12" lowered rear shocks versus 13.5" on the Electra and Ultra, 1" lowered front spring dampers as well to give it a lower stance than the others. They did away with all the fender tip lights and chrome trim front and rear, used shorter bullet rear turn signals and bullet fronts vs the spot light bar and larger round turn signals that are standard on the Electra and Ultra. I completely "Street Glided" my 2003 Electra and I mean completely.....front (RG) and rear fenders (SG), tank (SG), floorboards(SG), rear pegs, seat(RG), dash console (SG) and all parts are from 06 or newer bikes which was the first year for the Street Glide. I sold off Anniversary painted parts and got stock black SG parts for less than I sold them for which left cash for other goodies like a custom front wheel and extended bags. Front fender is from a 2013 as are the rear shocks so that goes to show that Harley doesn't re-invent the wheel that often. Parts bolted right on with zero modifications. No one can tell it's not a Street Glide now.....

Joy got it backwards. Electra and Street Glides are called Batwing fairings, and it is attached to and turns with the handlebars. Road Glides are called Shark Nose, and the fairing is frame mounted and always points straight ahead. The frames are the same, but there's a lot of misc. differences, suspension, trim etc. Many (not me) think the Road Glides are the better long distance bike.

Thanks for clarifying that...It was early...and like I said, it has been winter for a looonnnggg time here. I haven't seen my bike in months, since we store it at a friends place a couple of miles away in order to keep the cars in the garage. Hopefully soon we will shuffle the bikes back here.

You are welcome. It was an easy mistake. For all the good things you do here, no one will remember. :)

Back