free website stats program What are the Symptoms of Incorrectly Adjusted Steering Head? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What are the Symptoms of Incorrectly Adjusted Steering Head?

I'm definately not as experienced as the guys who have responded so far but can offer that on my dyna I had a loose neck bearing and the symptom was a very noticable "POP" when I was breaking into a stop sign or stop light. Could even feel it in my hands when I heard the "pop". I took it to the dealership and they adjusted the fall away and I have not had the problem since........do you ever feel a pop or clunk when breaking?
No pop. Just a swimmy hint of instability. It doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm travelling.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Just an update on the issue. My theory was that if the steering head as loose, as I suspected, if I removed my Woody's fairing, the problem should become less. First I checked for looseness in the front and rear motor mounts, as well as loose rear axle. All is well.

I removed the fairing and the problem did reduce significantly. I then went through the steering head adjustment, and found it looser than spec. Set it to spec and the problem is cleared up. Thanks for all the input.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back