free website stats program What are Dyna Beads?? | Harley Davidson Forums

What are Dyna Beads??

BuddyK

I've seen stuff on something called Dyna Beads for tire balancing and don't know anything about them. Can someone tell me what are they and how do they work? Are they better they convention balancing? Thanks:D

Dyna Beads are very small ceramic beads. Pour them in a tire (tube or tubeless) and the centrifical force will cause them to balance a tire. I have used them with no problems, but some old school guys still prefer a weight. If you install your own tires and don't have a way to balance them then try them. Also for fancy custom wheels no ugly weight and they don't fall off.
Ken

You can buy those beads, but a cheaper way to go is use airsoft pellets. you can put half a dozen through the valve stem and they will do the same thing. they actually work good. it's amazing what a little centrifical force will do in a tire. my vette lost the strap holding the tire pressure sensor to the rim, and sometimes while driving it would land in the perfect spot to balance the tire, other times it would throw it way off. when I had it removed I put those pellets in and didn't have to have it rebalanced...

I have heard about these but don't know anything about them. I would suggest that if you do put them in and the next time you get the tire replaced inform the guy that is doing it so he won't get any supprises.

No messy suprise, a few beads may fall out but you can sweep them up. You can actually capture them and reuse them
Ken

I just had new tires mounted and balanced. 2 days later, the rear weight fell off. I put Dyna beads in instead of taking wheel off to have it rebalanced (free). I couldn't tell any difference in the rear. I took a 75 mile ride and carefully noted the feel of the front wheel, and bars. Then I removed the front weight and installed Dyna beads. I repeated the same ride as before, and at 60 mph I could tell it was just a little smoother than with the weight, otherwise no difference noticed.
I don't know what "airsoft" pellets are, but I thought about using BB's. They are way too big to go through the valve stem. Dyna beads are really tiny and go in easily.

I change a few tires at home in my shop and truthfully if a tire is less then an ounce out of balance I can not feel it. I have a Handy balance and wheel truer, so if I am staticly balancing a tire and it needs less then an ounce I don't bother.
Ken

I have used them for the last 20 thousand miles, with no problems. IMO they make the ride feel smoother, especially at speed. Nothing worse than the look of a stick-on wheel weight on a nice new chrome wheel.

Back