free website stats program what anti virus pgm. is recommended? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

what anti virus pgm. is recommended?

My laptop is a puny 18G hardrive, 750meg memory, with a 980mhz processor running XP home.

Hate to say it, but it's time to trade-in that dinasour laptop for something a little more modern. No matter what AV program or browser you select - it's still gonna run sluggish. I just got my son a Toshiba @ Best Buy with Intel QC processor, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD for under $400. Believe me - it'll be like going from a moped to a VROD...;-)

I use avast! We run it on our goverement system and it has a free version that I use on my personal computers. I have had good luck with it.

DITTO on AVAST. Free and zero problems with anything. All I will use.:s

Your problem is memory. With more resources available in new systems, the programmers get sloppy and bloat the programs.

Nortons is the worst, McAfee is second.

Go to task manager. Click on the performance tab. Look for the page file bar.

Windows takes a part of the hard drive and allocates it for virtual memory. When enough stuff gets loaded into ram that there is no more memory XP will use the hard drive as ram.

That slows down the system. The more page file being used the slower it gets.

It doesn't matter what program it is. If your eating into the page file your baby is gonna run slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
AVG Anti-Virus free.. Doesn't have the whistles or bells the others may, but it does what I need without all the extra junk they sometimes add on to bump the price and make it sound like you are getting all this additional stuff (that you actually do not need).

Anyone hear about Webroot? Started using about 4 yrs. ago after the Geek Squad had to clean out my computer again. Haven't had a problem since, was told at the time Norton was over rated but to each his own.

Yep that's what I use for two years or better now. nary a virus! :bigsmiley22:

Never heard of 'Webroot', my computer was set up with McAfee when I purchased it in March 2010. The computer shop got a bunch of junk out of my computer again and they set me up with a 'Firefox' browser.

Never heard of 'Webroot', my computer was set up with McAfee when I purchased it in March 2010. The computer shop got a bunch of junk out of my computer again and they set me up with a 'Firefox' browser.

Been using that for some time now:s no problems, use CC cleaner and Spybot

Back