free website stats program what anti virus pgm. is recommended? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

what anti virus pgm. is recommended?

Thanks for all the great replies. For some reason, I have never taken advantage of the AV programs available from my broadband provider, or the free ones. I'm gonna try the one from my BB provider first. Right now, I'm amazed with the speed of this 'puter with no AV slowing it down.

And thanks to Joyflyn for the reminder that this forum has places for questions OTHER than Harley. :s

I use ESET NOD32. I had too much trouble with the Norton and switched to this about 2 years ago. Doesnt take up much space or slow anything down, and I have had 0 issues, even with the teenagers puter, since switching to it. I got mine at Micro center.

Norton Internet Security is highly recommended...if you have McAffee, let the registration expire and then go to Staples and have their their computer guy has all the tools necessary to remove it and load Norton on...he can tell you THAT is the number one upgrade he does on every machine that crosses his desk, when customers complain about their old OR NEW PCs that have been crawling along, or they hear their fans spin up like an aircraft turbine when they are multiple open program users.:D

I do NOT recommend McAffee - simply because it slows the computer way down and essentially the newer version takes over all Administration rights...(it constantly refreshes and slows your computer down), sometimes crashing or locking up your computer in the process. The only worse offender is Windows Vista or 7 IF you do not upgrade your computer hardware and especially run out of memory if less than 3GB (4GB memory in two slots, Vista only has 3GB is mapped then looks to hard disk for space).:(

Last edited:
Anyone hear about Webroot? Started using about 4 yrs. ago after the Geek Squad had to clean out my computer again. Haven't had a problem since, was told at the time Norton was over rated but to each his own.

I use avast! We run it on our goverement system and it has a free version that I use on my personal computers. I have had good luck with it.

Either AVG9 or superantispyware,both free and work well.One of these in combination with malwarebytes,no problems.

I decided against using my providers antivirus as it's McAfee, and that's what was on our Dell when new, and it was kinda slow. I downloaded and installed AGV free, and have been using it since this morning. My speeds are good, and it doesn't seem to be hogging much cpu or memory. Time will tell. Next, I'm gonna try Firefox in place of IE8.
Thanks again for the suggestions and replies.

I've had good luck with AVG free but then I don't go anywhere questionable either. My wife also uses AVG and has got a couple viruses. But she gets lots of joke e-mails,goes on facebook alot and for some unknown reason plays farmtown.

I've had good luck with AVG free but then I don't go anywhere questionable either. My wife also uses AVG and has got a couple viruses. But she gets lots of joke e-mails,goes on facebook alot and for some unknown reason plays farmtown.

You're here, aren't you?

:lolrolling

Back