free website stats program What a mess. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What a mess.

I agree. Crossing the centerline & killing someone makes it way worse than just an "accident". That said, there should & probably will be some financial compensation... a lot, I hope.

Accident, I think NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!
It was neglegence on the part of the driver who crossed the center line!
He disregarded common sense, law, and concideration of anybody else on the road. Just as if he pulled a trigger on a gun and said, "oh, I didn't see you there." Neglegence!!!!! Especially if he was sober, he should know better.
:wall

I must say that I impressed with the level of compassion that our community (motorcyclists) have for one another. There are few (if any) other social groups that acknowledge and assist each other like we do.

You may all be more forgiving people than I; however, I feel like justice may not have been served. Whenever we throw a leg over our motorcycle, or get behind the wheel of a car, we are proverbially placing a round into the chamber of a very lethal weapon. The original post stated that the automobile driver "crossed the center line." In my mind, that is likened to pointing a loaded gun at someone and "accidentally" pulling the trigger. I can't help but feel that the punishment would not have been the same had the metaphor been what actually occured.

Crossing the center line = wreckless driving. Wreckless driving which results in the death of another party = vehicular homicide.

I do feel bad for all of the families involved, but just because we don't have a ton of steel surrounding us does not make us any less human... or any less dead.

I absolutely agree. Perhaps if people understood that they are "handling a deadly weapon" they would pay more attention. I am sickened by the way that people have absolutely no respect for the fact they are driving a ton of metal on the road. Wreckless driving should be punishable just like wreckless handling of a gun. They are the same thing!!

When I was 17 I was hit by a drunk he cut my car in half and wrapped it around a hydro pole (1972 Maverick Grabber that I was darn proud of) They sent a preacher that night to administer last rites ,but I was too stubborn to die.I had only kissed my future wife once at that time.I wanted MORE! I am definately digressing here .If I had known in the 70s what I know now about pain and inability to sleep I would have petitioned the court to lock him up forever

It was an accident. No alohol or drugs involved. Could have been in a cage and had the same results. I feel sorry for both party's involved. Cage's and MC do not mix. That is why I can't understand why some of us are prepared to challange some idiot in a cage. I just back off and let them get out of my space. God bless him and his family. The driver will be regrettful the rest of his life. In a way, that is prison.:(

Honestly, I did not think about it before just now, but my sister when she was in her teens had an accident where a motorcyclist crossed her side of the road headon and ran over the hood of her 1964 Triumph Spitfire IV sports car, he was killed and only the front hood of her car was dented from about 3 feet from the front to the right rear fender, maybe 3" deep at most...real thin sheet metal (you lifted up the whole front with two clips in front of the driver doors). At the time I was too young to realize just how hard it was on her, until much later when she found out I rode motorcycles. The thoughts stay with you, your mind just keeps it in the back burner for self preservation.

Back