free website stats program What a mess. | Harley Davidson Forums

What a mess.

hobo55

Todays paper had an article about a man who received a 12 month delay of sentence (no jail time just probation) for crossing the center line on a back road and hitting a biker head on and killing him. No alcohol was invloved. I understand it was an accident but is this justice? The man will have to live with this forever but the others family is without their loved one forever. I really don't understand what would be right but please everyone be careful always - you just never know. RIDE SAFE

Todays paper had an article about a man who received a 12 month delay of sentence (no jail time just probation) for crossing the center line on a back road and hitting a biker head on and killing him. No alcohol was invloved. I understand it was an accident but is this justice? The man will have to live with this forever but the others family is without their loved one forever. I really don't understand what would be right but please everyone be careful always - you just never know. RIDE SAFE

No offence man, but it was a accident. What do you want him to do, go to jail for a accidental accident?. We all risk our lives everyday when we turn the keys and hit the highway and unfortunately things like this happen to good people. If there was no alcohol or reckless driving involved, there should be no jail time, punitive damages are another story. The right thing persay that is was a accident with no fault should be a 6 month loss of licence.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Irish Hog on this, Accidents happen. Everybody dies and nobody deserves to get rich over the loss of a loved one. I know it sounds harsh, but I'm sure the accident was investigated and punishment handed out accordingly. Maybe the guy is sorry, or maybe he isn't but in the end we all answer for what we've done and justice will be served.

Thats what I was trying to say that it was an accident. Everyone should pay attention cause you never know. I wouldn't want my family to be on either side of this story. Be aware of whats going on around you. Know where your controls are before you ride. Don't wait til you're on the rode to learn how to work your radio. Watch yourself and get home safe. Look twice and save a life. It could be yours.

I see where you're at, Hobo. It's infuriating to see someone who violated the law (technically) walk away, but it's also something you can't really charge him with because it was an accident with an unfortunate cost. There was no justice cast, only justice accidentally earned. It's an aggravating situation. And you're absolutely right...be aware of what's going on around you. As my father used to say,"everything you do effects EVERYONE."

These are the type of stories that I got to make sure my wife doesn't read. My wife respects my love for bikes. But she becomes a nervous wreck when she reads articles involving bikes. I'm 55 and after 3 girls and 30 years, I bought my first Harley. Use to ride when I was in my late teens and early twentys. I made sure I took the test. Took the 3 day test and I'm still learning. Always respect the road and others. There is no such thing as road rage on a bike. Most of my friends that don't ride will always say, "Boy are you scared to ride with all the idiots on the road". Honestly, yes. Don't tail gate, don't ride in blind spots, don't act like nothing can happen to you. Accidents happen accidently. Don't make accidents happen. Repect the power between your legs. I see these guys (kids) on these crotch rockets going by me at 15 to 20 over, in and out of traffic. Now that's an accident waiting to happen. We take risks everyday. Just don't add to it by acting stupid. Re-take the bike test if you rusty. And always make sure your ready for the first ride of the year. Do your checks, oil, tires, etc. before you head out. Accidents also happen becuase of faulty equipment.

I say just live everyday like it's your last (within reason of course) Anything could happen at anytime so don't put off the important people and things in your life just because you think you can take care of it tomorrow. I don't think anyone in the trade centers planned on not going home that Sad September day, and I don't think anyone on that 300 mile flight to Buffalo planed on not landing the other night. So be careful, but always start everyday ready for death:x

It was an accident. No alohol or drugs involved. Could have been in a cage and had the same results. I feel sorry for both party's involved. Cage's and MC do not mix. That is why I can't understand why some of us are prepared to challange some idiot in a cage. I just back off and let them get out of my space. God bless him and his family. The driver will be regrettful the rest of his life. In a way, that is prison.:(

I feel there should be some kind of punishment. At the very least loss of driver's license for at year or more. My brother was killed by a ignorant cager who turned in front of him in 2000. The cager and his family had zero remorse and accused my brother of being a dirt bag biker who was drunk and was speeding. According to witnesses the motorcycle was going under the speed limit. My brother didn't drink and he was a very well respected police officer who was on his way to watch his wife play in a softball game. Today would have been his 57th birthday. The value of my brother life was put at $91
the total of the fine the cager got for failing to yield to on coming traffic and also this was the second motorcyclist the cager hit in 4yrs.
My point is the punishment should be something the the car driver will never forget. If a accident involves death or serious injury Yes there should be more the a slap on the hand.

I must say that I impressed with the level of compassion that our community (motorcyclists) have for one another. There are few (if any) other social groups that acknowledge and assist each other like we do.

You may all be more forgiving people than I; however, I feel like justice may not have been served. Whenever we throw a leg over our motorcycle, or get behind the wheel of a car, we are proverbially placing a round into the chamber of a very lethal weapon. The original post stated that the automobile driver "crossed the center line." In my mind, that is likened to pointing a loaded gun at someone and "accidentally" pulling the trigger. I can't help but feel that the punishment would not have been the same had the metaphor been what actually occured.

Crossing the center line = wreckless driving. Wreckless driving which results in the death of another party = vehicular homicide.

I do feel bad for all of the families involved, but just because we don't have a ton of steel surrounding us does not make us any less human... or any less dead.

Back