free website stats program WHAT A MESS ***A TFI and A HD RACE TUNER | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

WHAT A MESS ***A TFI and A HD RACE TUNER

OK, Now I am clear. I was under the impression once you had a SERT, that was it, no other option period. I feel a tiny bit better. LOL.

HOOP

The bike runs ONLY a bit lean and i don't want to MUCK her up in the process...

I think the TFI could hook up and do a good job BUT the TFI settings would have to change to NOT give TOO much fuel?

IS MY thinking right???

OR would installing TFI PUT IN IT'S OWN PROGRAM to use?......

I thought the TFI uses in conjunction with the HD map setting and just adds a little broader fuel spray...

I'm wondering if the TFI USES SOME SETTINGS IN THE HD MAP?

YOU get rid of the 02 sensors with the TFI(loop) that being a rid of HEAT +

then ?????

I'll try to get the print out on the page soon

signed....BUBBIE

NIGHTERIDER has a good description of the facts...

they say "
The TFI can best described as a pulse extender. It allows the fuel injectors to stay open longer. thus providing more fuel to the engine."

so it looks like the TFI could be used but I would have to set all 3 pots probably different than the settings SUGGESTED at a start...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubbie,
I wish I could help you more on the TFI unit but I know Zip about them. But it Looks like Steve07 has got you covered and has been there and back.

I will be on the side line taking some notes & Learning:p

Hoop!

You know what? I have read a lot about this issue with Tuner or no Tuner. As an avid reader if AIM, I have decided to try the Stage 1 uogrades without a tuner and the results are surprising. Now, I do have the stock 02 sensors on my bike but Vance & Hines Bigshots staggered, Screamin Eagle A/C with K & N Filter, Screamin Eagle Plugs and Wires. My Dyno Run was surprising to me. AIM States in several issues that they have found with the 02 sensors that no additional tuning is necessary when making Pipe and A/C changes so I went with that.

Power is 75.21
Torque is 86.78
Fuel to air is right around 13.5 to 1

All to the rear wheel of course and not at the crank which HD engine specs are made.

We all know that Harleys are lean from the factory and run around 14.5 to 1 for Air and Fuel.

When I showed my local stealer the dyno sheet, they were surprised to say the least but they also stated that not all engines are the same (internally) and being built within a certain specification, some are better than others. Maybe I am just lucky.

Attachments

• Rays 07 FXST Dyno Sheet.pdf
    599.1 KB · Views: 13
I noticed on your dyno sheet that it says H-D ECM re-mapping along with other changes. Is this correct or did they enter wrong info? :33:
Randall

Before I knew better, I went and had the ECM download recommended by the dealer at the tune of $120.00 but, I would not do it again because it only really changes the rev limiter from what I understand. As a matter of fact, I did not do it for my wifes 09 Dyna Sterrt Bob.

As stated before, AIM keeps on top of these issues and state no need for the download that Harley recommends. O2 sensors will make minor adjustments for most Pipe and AC mods. it's musually within 3% according to a Dyno Tech I recently talked to.

Keep in mind, I ride in Georgia and Fla mostly. I have not tested at higher altitudes. All I can say is over 17K miles speakes for itself in my book.

Ultimatly, you have a very tuneable option. If you have the CD you can set the map but you will have to run through a dyno to take advantage of all you have. See what they want to clean it up.

O.K. , this is a really good thread ,I have a SERT in my bike and was wanting to better understand this piece of hardware-software which ever you want to call it . I have noticed the performance differences compared to stock bikes,and have noticed the difference in engine temps compared to my old sportster, which was stock. I have an oil temp gauge in the oil cap but it currently is out of commision,dead battery I'm assuming,it's the digital unit offered by hd in the catalogue. I am averaging 43 mpg on the last 3 tanks of fuel, with average speeds of 60-65 mph. Is it common to see this tuner needing to be updated to maintain tune?

Back